Scott Kelly & Gravity: Astronaut's Experience of Re-Entry to Earth

In summary, the conversation discussed the curiosity about the experience of an astronaut returning to Earth after being in space for an extended period of time. The question posed was about the psychological and physical effects of feeling the tug of gravity after living in a weightless environment. Links were shared to articles and books that touch on this topic, but it seems that there is more focus on the physiological effects rather than the psychological ones.
DiracPool
Scott Kelly is coming home after a year in space. I try to follow these things and watch the interviews with all the questions, most of which seem straightforward and informative. What drives me nuts, though, is the ubiquitous absence of probably the first question I would ask Scott Kelly or any other astronaut on the ISS. That question is what is it like to be floating around in free-fall for months upon end and then come back to the Earth and have to feel the relentless tug and pull of gravity dragging you downward toward the center of the Earth 24/7. I'm trying to imagine how this would be and it seems as if it would be tortuous. However, no one ever asks this question.

Is there anyone that can direct me to some kind of narrative from an astronaut on this topic?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think here may be the beginnings of an answer to my query:

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/4/11162618/scott-kelly-height

Muscle fatigue is linearly related to your time spent in microgravity. Skin sensitization? I don't think I would have thought of that one, but it makes sense. Again, though, my initial curiosity was what it was like to feel the relentless tug of gravity 24/7 after not having to deal with it all for 6 or 12 months in space. I mean, imagine sitting at a traffic stop and then having to accelerate to 100 kilometers an hour to keep up with traffic. Well, that's all fine and good. But you always welcome the relief when the acceleration stops. Then you are in cruising mode. Or, in the space launches, they're put under several g's and then there's a point when the g's end.

It's all relative. When you've been exposed to 0 g's for an extended period of time and all of a sudden you're forced to undergo a steady, relentless one g acceleration, it would seem to me that this could be very traumatic. That's what my original post was designed to explore. However, it didn't seem to generate much interest. In fairness, though, I haven't heard of an astronaut/cosmonaut really commenting on this concern of mine, so maybe it really isn't an issue. What seems to be the issue for the astronauts is basically only the physiological effects, not so much the psychological effects.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I remember that Chris Hadfield talks about it extensively in his book: An Astronaut's Guide to Life On Earth. It's a good read. I recommend it if you have a chance to pick up a copy.

Likes DiracPool

1. What was Scott Kelly's experience like during re-entry to Earth?

Scott Kelly's experience during re-entry to Earth was intense and physically demanding. As the spacecraft entered Earth's atmosphere at a speed of 17,500 miles per hour, Kelly experienced intense heat and pressure, which caused him to feel like he was being squeezed. The spacecraft also shook violently, making it difficult for him to move or see anything. However, once the spacecraft slowed down and the parachutes deployed, the experience became more manageable.

2. How long did it take for Scott Kelly to readjust to Earth's gravity?

It took Scott Kelly approximately 6 months to readjust to Earth's gravity after spending a year in space. During his time in space, Kelly's body adapted to the weightlessness and low-gravity environment, causing changes in his muscles, bones, and cardiovascular system. It took time for his body to readjust to the stronger gravity on Earth, and he experienced muscle weakness, balance issues, and difficulty walking for several weeks after his return.

3. Did Scott Kelly experience any psychological effects during re-entry to Earth?

Yes, Scott Kelly experienced some psychological effects during re-entry to Earth. He reported feeling very emotional and overwhelmed as he saw the Earth from space for the last time and prepared to leave the International Space Station. During re-entry, he also felt a sense of isolation and detachment, as he was separated from his crewmates and the familiar environment of the ISS.

4. How does the experience of re-entry to Earth affect an astronaut's body?

The experience of re-entry to Earth affects an astronaut's body in various ways. Due to the intense heat and pressure during re-entry, astronauts can experience physical discomfort and fatigue. The change in gravity can also cause muscle weakness, balance issues, and changes in bone density. Additionally, the abrupt change in environment and sensory input can cause astronauts to experience dizziness, disorientation, and motion sickness.

5. What are the potential long-term effects of Scott Kelly's year in space?

There are several potential long-term effects of Scott Kelly's year in space. These include changes in his bone density and muscle mass, vision changes, and potential effects on his immune system. Kelly's year in space also provided valuable data for studying the effects of long-term space travel on the human body, which will be crucial for future missions to Mars and beyond.