The weight of one of three bricks

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike_bb
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
6 replies · 2K views
Mike_bb
Messages
334
Reaction score
40
Hello!

I have three bricks with masses ##m##.
Am I right that the weight of first brick is ##3mg-2mg=mg##?

1111.jpg


Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Which one is the first brick?
Each brick weights the same.
 
Lnewqban said:
Which one is the first brick?
Each brick weights the same.
number 1 on the picture
 
Then, you are correct.
Its top surface is “feeling” a force equal to the weight of both bricks above it (2 mg).
Its bottom surface is “feeling” a force equal to the weight of the three bricks (3 mg).
 
Mike_bb said:
I have three bricks with masses ##m##.
Am I right that the weight of first brick is ##3mg-2mg=mg##?
If its mass is ##m## then its weight is ##mg## per definition. That has nothing to do with the other bricks or your picture.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mike_bb and SammyS
The weight of each brick is ##mg##. You are confusing weight with normal force.

Take the middle brick as an example. There are three forces acting on it. There's the downward weight force of magnitude ##mg##, a downward normal force of magnitude ##mg## due to contact with the brick above, and an upward normal force of magnitude ##2mg## due to contact with the lower brick.

And therefore, of course, the net force on the middle brick is zero. Indeed, the net force on each brick zero, as is the net force on the entire collection of bricks.

Edit: Draw three well-separated free body diagrams, one of each brick. Identify each Third Law pair of equal-but-opposite forces. The mental effort required will benefit you greatly.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS and Mike_bb
Mike_bb said:
Hello!

I have three bricks with masses ##m##.
Am I right that the weight of first brick is ##3mg-2mg=mg##?

View attachment 359686

Thanks.
each brick has a weight mg totally independent of the other bricks