Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Question - Distributed weight on Camper Tires

1. Jun 27, 2017 #1
    Let say I have a 4,000 lb. camper with two axles (four tires). There is 400 lbs. of tongue weight on the hitch which would leave the remaining 3,600 lbs. distributed to the four tires (900 lbs./tire). To keep it simple, lets say the weight of the camper is distributed equally left and right. Now my question is; if one of the tires goes flat, (1) will the tire remaining on the flat side now be also supporting the weight of the flat tire (for a total of 1,800 lbs.), or (2) will the 900 lbs. from the flat tire be distributed to the remaining three tires so that each tire is now supporting 1,200 lbs.? Looking forward to your input. I hope I picked the correct forum and level. Thanks in advance. Larry

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you think and why?

4. Jun 27, 2017 #3
    On a travel trailer forum, it's generally stated that if you have a flat tire on a dual axle trailer, the remaining tire on that side will carry the full weight of that side of the trailer. The issue is if you drive on that single tire on the flat side, how much weight is on that tire so you can know if you are exceeding the tire's Load Range. I have no reason to back up what I think but I'm thinking why wouldn't the three remaining tires act like a tri-pod with the weight spread equally. Larry

5. Jun 27, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

based on just intuition / personal opinion as opposed to any technical analysis of the situation, I'd say that in uniform straight travel the single tire would likely support less than half but possibly more than 1/3rd of the weight. The real problem would be when turning into the side with the single tire, in which case that tire would likely take more than half of the vehicle's weight, creating quite a problematic situation.

6. Jun 28, 2017 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your dual axel gives you a massive advantage for getting somewhere safe when you have a flat. The stress on tyres depends quite a lot on speed so I would perhaps risk carrying on my journey very slowly for a short way. The best solution would of course depend on the exact circumstances but if the trailer is fully loaded you are clearly exceeding its specified load and you are on your own as far as Insurance and warrantee conditions are concerned. I agree with phinds and his estimation of probable load (cornering will make things much worse).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted