Question - Distributed weight on Camper Tires

In summary, the conversation discusses the weight distribution on a 4,000 lb. camper with two axles and four tires, with 400 lbs. of tongue weight on the hitch. The question is whether a flat tire on one side would distribute its weight to the remaining three tires or if the remaining tire on that side would carry the full weight of that side of the trailer. The conversation also includes personal opinions on the situation and the potential risks and solutions for driving with a flat tire on a dual axle trailer.
LarryG
Let say I have a 4,000 lb. camper with two axles (four tires). There is 400 lbs. of tongue weight on the hitch which would leave the remaining 3,600 lbs. distributed to the four tires (900 lbs./tire). To keep it simple, let's say the weight of the camper is distributed equally left and right. Now my question is; if one of the tires goes flat, (1) will the tire remaining on the flat side now be also supporting the weight of the flat tire (for a total of 1,800 lbs.), or (2) will the 900 lbs. from the flat tire be distributed to the remaining three tires so that each tire is now supporting 1,200 lbs.? Looking forward to your input. I hope I picked the correct forum and level. Thanks in advance. Larry

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think and why?

On a travel trailer forum, it's generally stated that if you have a flat tire on a dual axle trailer, the remaining tire on that side will carry the full weight of that side of the trailer. The issue is if you drive on that single tire on the flat side, how much weight is on that tire so you can know if you are exceeding the tire's Load Range. I have no reason to back up what I think but I'm thinking why wouldn't the three remaining tires act like a tri-pod with the weight spread equally. Larry

based on just intuition / personal opinion as opposed to any technical analysis of the situation, I'd say that in uniform straight travel the single tire would likely support less than half but possibly more than 1/3rd of the weight. The real problem would be when turning into the side with the single tire, in which case that tire would likely take more than half of the vehicle's weight, creating quite a problematic situation.

Likes sophiecentaur
Your dual axel gives you a massive advantage for getting somewhere safe when you have a flat. The stress on tyres depends quite a lot on speed so I would perhaps risk carrying on my journey very slowly for a short way. The best solution would of course depend on the exact circumstances but if the trailer is fully loaded you are clearly exceeding its specified load and you are on your own as far as Insurance and warrantee conditions are concerned. I agree with phinds and his estimation of probable load (cornering will make things much worse).

1. How much weight can my camper tires support?

The weight capacity of camper tires varies depending on the brand and size of the tire. It is important to check the load index and maximum load capacity listed on the tire's sidewall. It is recommended to not exceed 90% of the tire's maximum load capacity to ensure safe and proper functioning.

2. Can I distribute weight evenly on all four camper tires?

Yes, it is important to distribute weight evenly on all four tires to ensure proper balance and weight distribution. Uneven weight distribution can lead to uneven tire wear and potential safety hazards while driving.

3. How does weight distribution affect my camper tires?

Proper weight distribution is crucial for the performance and longevity of your camper tires. Overloading or uneven weight distribution can cause excessive wear and tear, reduced fuel efficiency, and potential tire failure.

4. Do I need to adjust my camper's tire pressure for different weight distributions?

Yes, it is important to adjust your camper's tire pressure according to the weight distribution. Overloading or uneven weight distribution can cause uneven tire pressure, leading to potential safety hazards. Consult your camper's manual or a tire professional for the recommended tire pressure for different weight distributions.

5. Can I add weight to my camper without exceeding the tire's weight capacity?

Yes, you can add weight to your camper as long as it does not exceed the tire's weight capacity. It is important to evenly distribute the weight and not exceed 90% of the tire's maximum load capacity to ensure safe and proper functioning of the tires.