1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The working of an electric motor and generator

1. Jan 18, 2013 #1
    I have a very silly question . I know how an electric motor and generator work; the changing magnetic flux and current flow causes the coil to rotate etc. and it generates mechanical or electrical energy.

M question is how does turning of the coil generate mechanical energy from electrical energy in a motor and electrical energy from mechanical energy in a generator?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2013 #2
    I think you question is a little unclear. Are you asking what relationship exists between mechanical and electrical energy which allows them to be interchangeable?

4. Jan 19, 2013 #3
    What I'm trying to ask is how does turning a coil create electricity? I know how the coil turns but how does the turning go on to give electricity in a generator?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  5. Jan 19, 2013 #4
    The wire in the turning coil cuts the field from a permanent magnet at right angles, which initiates electron movement in the wire. There is loads about this on the internet.

6. Jan 19, 2013 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look up Flemings right hand rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook