The working of an electric motor and generator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ASidd
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
I have a very silly question . I know how an electric motor and generator work; the changing magnetic flux and current flow causes the coil to rotate etc. and it generates mechanical or electrical energy.

M question is how does turning of the coil generate mechanical energy from electrical energy in a motor and electrical energy from mechanical energy in a generator?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you question is a little unclear. Are you asking what relationship exists between mechanical and electrical energy which allows them to be interchangeable?
 
What I'm trying to ask is how does turning a coil create electricity? I know how the coil turns but how does the turning go on to give electricity in a generator?
 
Last edited:
The wire in the turning coil cuts the field from a permanent magnet at right angles, which initiates electron movement in the wire. There is loads about this on the internet.