Exploring the World of 2058: What the Future Holds

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the book "The Way We Will Be 50 Years From Today" features essays from sixty thinkers discussing their predictions for the world in 2058. Some of the consensus ideas include a cure for cancer, advanced robots, and flying cars, but it remains to be seen if these predictions will come true.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How will the world look in the year 2058?

Sixty thinkers from around the world rise to that challenge in a collection of essays titled "The Way We Will Be 50 Years From Today."

The consensus view is... [continued]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24201711/

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see. I'll be 66 then.

No cats...only dogs?!? No way, I'm not going!

In the year two thousandddddddddddd... in the year two thousandddddd.

Cyrus said:
In the year two thousandddddddddddd... in the year two thousandddddd.

:rofl: As I read that, I had flashbacks to 3rd or 4th grade when there was an art contest to draw what we thought the world would look like in the year 2000 (the winning drawings/paintings got displayed at the public library). I'm still waiting for us all to be driving Jetson's cars (or some sort of flying car anyway), because that was in almost all the entries. Of course, as we were working on our art assignments, we were talking about all our ideas. Cancer was going to be cured, robots would clean our houses for us (so far, we've got Roomba...I'm not impressed), and cars would be tiny and fuel efficient (:rofl: we went the opposite direction).

I think I'll be patient and wait the 50 years to see where things are by then. (Hey, if life expectancy is going to increase to 140, I'll still be a young pup by then. :rofl: What a stretch, 50 years increase in life expectancy...I'd be willing to believe 10 or 15 maybe, but not 50).

1. What is the purpose of exploring the world of 2058?

The purpose of exploring the world of 2058 is to gain a better understanding of what the future may hold based on current trends and advancements in technology, society, and the environment. It allows us to anticipate potential challenges and opportunities and make informed decisions in the present to shape a better future.

2. How can we predict what the world will be like in 2058?

Predicting the future is not an exact science, but scientists use a variety of methods such as trend analysis, computer modeling, and expert opinions to make educated predictions. By analyzing current data and trends, we can make informed projections about what the world may look like in 2058.

3. Will exploring the world of 2058 help us prepare for potential problems?

Yes, exploring the world of 2058 can help us prepare for potential problems by allowing us to identify and anticipate challenges that may arise in the future. By understanding these challenges, we can develop strategies and solutions to mitigate their impact and be better prepared to address them.

4. What are some of the major advancements we can expect to see in 2058?

Some major advancements we can expect to see in 2058 include advancements in renewable energy technologies, artificial intelligence, space exploration, and biotechnology. These advancements have the potential to greatly impact our lives and shape the future in various ways.

5. What role do individuals and society play in shaping the world of 2058?

Individuals and society play a crucial role in shaping the world of 2058. Our actions, decisions, and behaviors today can have a significant impact on the future. By making conscious choices and taking collective action, we can shape a better and more sustainable future for ourselves and generations to come.