Theoretical Physics: Choosing a Grad degree

In summary, when pursuing a career in theoretical physics, it is important to obtain a bachelor's degree in physics and take courses in theoretical physics as well as foundational math and generic physics. From there, students go on to obtain master's and doctorate degrees in physics, with a focus on specializing in one branch, such as elemental physics, quantum physics, or astrophysics. When choosing a graduate school, it is important to consider the research interests of the faculty and to do well in undergraduate courses to determine one's suitability for certain fields. It is also recommended to take "intro to [sub-specialty]" courses, do a thesis project, and gain research experience in order to make an informed decision about a specific field. However, it is
fsujoseph
Hey guys, I'm new here! I will soon transfer to a 4 year Uni to get an undergraduate in Physics which is simple enough. Where I need advice is the Doctoral and Graduate degrees. I want to work in Theoretical Physics but I understand there are specific specializations you have to choose according to this article:

"Theoretical physicists usually start out with a bachelor's degree in physics. Many take classes in theoretical physics along with foundation-building classes in math and generic physics. Students then go on to obtain master's and doctorate degrees in physics. In Einstein's time, theoretical physicists could study many different branches of physics. Today, because physics is much more complex, theoretical physicists need to specialize in one particular branch, such as elemental physics, quantum physics or astrophysics." - http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/theoretical-physicist-do-3284.html

Say I was looking to research String Theory, which graduate degree would I take? Feel free for long explanatory responses, because this is my career and I would like to know as much as possible! Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
When choosing a graduate school, you look for research that interests you. So if you wanted to work in string theory, you would look for a school that has faculty doing research in string theory.

Concentrate on doing well in your UG courses. How well you do will determine what you are suited for in grad school.

Thanks for the replies! I want to work on the theoretical side, but what I am mainly asking is thoughts on choosing the specific degree I would major in.

Actually scratch that. When I am getting the undergrad in Physics, will I be doing enough broad research and classes to help decide what field I want to go in? Right now I'm thinking Particle or Astro

That's supposed to be the idea during an undergraduate degree. In your third and fourth year you should be taking a few "intro to [sub-specialty]" courses, do a thesis project, get a summer job as a research assistant, and reading as much as you can about what interests you to help you make this kind of decision. And don't forget to weigh in some practical realities either. The number of people who end up actually becoming professors who work in string theory is very small - as in you may have a better shot at becoming an astronaut.

Related to Theoretical Physics: Choosing a Grad degree

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that aims to explain and predict natural phenomena using mathematical models and theories. It focuses on developing mathematical frameworks and concepts to understand how the universe works at a fundamental level.

2. What are some common areas of specialization in theoretical physics?

Some common areas of specialization in theoretical physics include quantum mechanics, relativity, cosmology, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. Within these areas, there are many subfields and specific topics that researchers may choose to focus on.

3. What kind of background is required for a graduate degree in theoretical physics?

A strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, is essential for studying theoretical physics. A background in physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, is also necessary. In addition, strong analytical and critical thinking skills are crucial for success in this field.

4. What are some potential career options for someone with a graduate degree in theoretical physics?

Many theoretical physics graduates pursue careers in academia, conducting research and teaching at universities and colleges. Others may work in research and development for government agencies or private companies. Some may also find employment in industries such as finance, information technology, or engineering.

5. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a graduate program in theoretical physics?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a graduate program in theoretical physics include the reputation and ranking of the program, the research opportunities and funding available, the faculty and their areas of expertise, and the overall academic and social environment of the institution. It is also important to consider the location, cost, and potential career prospects after graduation.