Theory of Gearing

• Thread starter bugatti79
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Folks,

I have a book Gear Geometry and Applied Theory by Litvin. It looks pretty hairy and the diagrams/schematics of the kinematic relations etc are difficult to understand.
What branch of mathematics does this fall under, diferential geometry and topology?

I think I may need to get some introductory book before I delve into this gear theory...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I would say more towards analytic geometry. Unless you are actually trying to understand how to design the different gear profiles, I wouldn't lose much sleep over this book. The essential bit is knowing how the gear ratio affects shaft speed and torque.

you dont have to go in deep maths..u can understand theory of gearing if u have little bit knowledge of design..u should read theory of machines by khurmi and gupta

If you're interested in doing more than just working with gears, like designing different involute profiles or analyzing forces on the teeth (which isn't the case for 99% of people), then I'm sure that's a good resource. Otherwise, SteamKing's suggestion is the best course of action.

Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design - Chapters 13, 14, 15 (in the 8th Edition) are for gears - has everything you need to know.

OldEngr63
Gold Member
For involute gears, the branch of mathematics is called involutometry. As noted, most of this you don't need to derive if you are willing to accept the results without proof.

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
OldEngr63
Gold Member
The OP asked for some introductory material on gearing. I would suggest

Mechanical Engineering Design - Shigley & Mischke
Mechanics of Machines - Doughty
Mechanisms and Dynamics of Machinery - Mabie & Ockvirk

Darle Dudely - Gear Handbook is very good. A good understanding of analytical geometry is required.

OldEngr63
Gold Member
I would second the Dudley book, Gear Handbook, if you can find a copy. This book is very hard to locate.

You do have a very good book about gears in deep. You can calculate second order geometry of hypoid gears, for instance. I think you only need to know differential geometry and kinematics.

I have gone through the whole book several times.There is a gear design software called kissoft. I have customers sources too throughout the world. . .Please suggest me something.

OldEngr63
Gold Member
What do you want/mean when you say, "Please suggest me something"?

Folks,

I have a book Gear Geometry and Applied Theory by Litvin. It looks pretty hairy and the diagrams/schematics of the kinematic relations etc are difficult to understand.
What branch of mathematics does this fall under, diferential geometry and topology?

I think I may need to get some introductory book before I delve into this gear theory...

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Are you still studying gear design.