Thermal Equilibrium H2O(l) & H2O (s)

In summary, the question asks at what temperature 0.5kg of ice at -65 celsius and 3.0kg of water at 20 celsius will reach thermal equilibrium. Using the equations q=mc[Delta]T and [Delta]T=Q/C, it was determined that the final temperature of the water would be 14.7 celsius when the ice reaches 0 celsius. However, finding the thermal equilibrium temperature requires equating the mc[Delta]T values of both substances, which did not provide the answer. Further assistance is needed.
phyzicz

Homework Statement

When you mix 0.5kg of ice which has an initial temperature of -65 celsius with 3.0kg of water which as an initial temperature 20 celsius, at what temperature do both substances come to thermal equilibrium?

Answer: 1.2 Celsius

Homework Equations

q=mc[Delta]T
[Delta]T=Q/C ; Q=heat, C=Heat capacity

The Attempt at a Solution

My Thoughts: I found out that when the ice reaches 0 celsius, the temperature of the water will go down to 14.7 celsius. I did this by using the equation q=mc[delta]T and solving for the final temp of water, which would be 14.7 when ice = 0. However, I don't know how to find the thermal equilibrium temp for this problem.

I've tried equating mc[delta]T of water + mc[delta]T of ice=0 because it is a closed system by solving for the delta T, but it didn't give me the answer.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

1. What is thermal equilibrium in the context of H2O(l) and H2O(s)?

Thermal equilibrium in this context refers to the state in which the temperature of both forms of water, liquid and solid, is equal and there is no net transfer of heat between them.

2. How is thermal equilibrium achieved between H2O(l) and H2O(s)?

Thermal equilibrium is achieved when both forms of water are in contact with each other and the rate of heat transfer between them is equal. This can be achieved by placing them in a thermally insulated container or by allowing them to reach the same temperature in a controlled environment.

3. What happens to the temperature of H2O(l) and H2O(s) at thermal equilibrium?

At thermal equilibrium, the temperature of both H2O(l) and H2O(s) will be the same. This temperature can vary depending on the external environment, but once equilibrium is reached, the temperature will remain constant.

4. Is thermal equilibrium the same as phase equilibrium for H2O(l) and H2O(s)?

No, thermal equilibrium and phase equilibrium are two different concepts. Thermal equilibrium refers to the temperature balance between the liquid and solid forms of water, while phase equilibrium refers to the balance between the amount of liquid and solid water present at a given temperature and pressure.

5. What factors can affect the thermal equilibrium between H2O(l) and H2O(s)?

The thermal equilibrium between H2O(l) and H2O(s) can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities. For example, adding salt to liquid water can lower its freezing point, affecting the thermal equilibrium between liquid and solid water.