Thermal Expansion of lead rod question

In summary, the lead rod and common glass rod have the same length at 21.0° C. In order for them to have the same length again after the lead rod is heated to 50.0° C, the glass rod must be heated to 280° C. It is important to note that the coefficient of expansion for Pyrex glass is higher than "ordinary" glass, at 9x10^-6. This was designed to address thermal expansion issues and reduce breakages.
Intrusionv2
A lead rod and a common glass rod both have the same length when at 21.0° C. The lead rod is heated to 50.0° C. To what temperature must the glass rod be heated so that they are again at the same length?

I did this:

L = a*L0*T
a (thermal expansion) of lead = (29e-6)
a (thermal expansion) of glass pyrex = (3.25e-6)

[a(50-21)]lead = [a(Tf-21)]glass
Tf = 280° C.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you happen to know what temperature they're looking for?

Although it doesn't make a difference to the solution to this problem, for future reference you might take note that the length of the material that has undergone a temperature change should be

[tex] L_{new} = L_{old} (1 + \alpha \Delta T) [/tex]

This is because the coefficient of expansion is based upon

[tex]\frac{\Delta L}{L} = \alpha \Delta T[/tex]

Hey thanks for the reply, I actually got it worked out.

They wanted a larger value for alpha of glass than I had.

I thought that pyrex glass would be fine to use as alpha for a glass rod, guess not. They wanted 9x10^-6.

But other than that my procedure is good :)

Intrusionv2 said:
Hey thanks for the reply, I actually got it worked out.

They wanted a larger value for alpha of glass than I had.

I thought that pyrex glass would be fine to use as alpha for a glass rod, guess not. They wanted 9x10^-6.

But other than that my procedure is good :)

Ah yes. It might be of interest to note that Pyrex glass was developed to address thermal expansion issues -- it was designed to have a lower thermal expansion coefficient than "ordinary" glass. It also meant fewer breakages due to thermal stress in the lab as well as the kitchen!

gneill said:
Ah yes. It might be of interest to note that Pyrex glass was developed to address thermal expansion issues -- it was designed to have a lower thermal expansion coefficient than "ordinary" glass. It also meant fewer breakages due to thermal stress in the lab as well as the kitchen!

Makes sense, good to know!

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to change in shape, area, and volume in response to a change in temperature.

What is the thermal expansion coefficient of lead?

The thermal expansion coefficient of lead is 0.0000293 per degree Celsius (or 0.0000163 per degree Fahrenheit).

What is the formula for calculating thermal expansion?

The formula for calculating thermal expansion is: ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the thermal expansion coefficient, L is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

How does thermal expansion affect the length of a lead rod?

As the temperature of a lead rod increases, its length will also increase due to thermal expansion. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the length of the rod will decrease.

What is the practical application of understanding thermal expansion of lead rods?

Understanding the thermal expansion of lead rods is important in various industries, such as construction and engineering, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary for building structures and machinery that can withstand changes in temperature. It is also important in the manufacturing of products that involve metal components, to ensure proper fit and function at different temperatures.