Thermal expansion of tank and contents.

In summary, Jaime solved the problem by using the equation for volumetric expansion of liquids. He figured out that the oil would expand more than the tank, and that the final temperature would be 68.37°c if the tank didn't expand.
caperjay

Homework Statement

At 5°c, a steel tank is 6m high, 9m in diameter, and contains oil to the 5.9m level. A heating coil is put into service, causing 3.4m^3 of oil to spill over the top of the tank by the time the final temperature is reached. Calculate the final temperature, if the coefficient of expansion of the oil is 0.00041, and coefficient of expansion for steel is 0.0000165. Note: Do not neglect the expansion of the tank.

Homework Equations

Equation for volumetric expansion for solids. ΔV= V x 3∂ x ΔT
Equation for volumetric expansion fo liquids. ΔV= V x β x ΔT
V= volume ∂=coefficient of expansion, ΔT=change in temperature, β= coefficient of expansion liquid.

3. attempt

I've been working on this one for a while now, having a hard time developing a formula that takes expansion of both into consideration. I've tried solving them seperatly, and I tried using a ratio to solove the problem, but I can't get anything close to the answer, which is 74.9°c.

If someone could just get me onto the right track, i'd like to solve it myself, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How are you calculating the final volume of the container? Are you are using the equation for volumetric expansion of solids? I'm not sure that's right, because the container is hollow. So rather than figuring out the change in volume of a solid steel tank, try to find the change in volume of a container made up of sheets of steel.

Yes that formula works for solids, as well as hollow vessels. I've used it to solve similar problems. This one is just a bit harder since there's two unknowns, the final temperature, and the change in volume. I know that the oil will expand a lot more than the vessel will, and that the oil starts off with 6.36m^3 less that the size of the tank.
I've also figured out that if the tank didn't expand that the oil would need to increase by 9.76m^3 to spill 3.4m^3, and that a final temperature of 68.37°c, would be required to achieve this.

I am just having trouble including the expansion of the vessel, or deriving a formula for this.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

I would love to see the answer to this question! i am stuck on it as well, 3rd's...urgh i have found a few questions in the book that throws a curve ball. I am absolutley stuck as to how to solve this with 2 unknowns, volume and temperature of the steel tank and oil. i have got to the same numbers as above but can not get the right one. maybe they made a typo...found a couple so far.
Thanks
Jaime
I need some serious help...can't let it go!

JaimeR said:
I would love to see the answer to this question! i am stuck on it as well, 3rd's...urgh i have found a few questions in the book that throws a curve ball. I am absolutley stuck as to how to solve this with 2 unknowns, volume and temperature of the steel tank and oil. i have got to the same numbers as above but can not get the right one. maybe they made a typo...found a couple so far.
Thanks
Jaime

Show what you've tried so that we can see how to help.

JaimeR said:
Thanks
Jaime

Hey Jaime,

I've since solved that problem, and from what I've been told from guys at work its more of a 2nd class problem, but anyways, here's how I solved it.

Vtank + ΔVtank = Voil + ΔVoil - 3.4

381.7 + 381.7x3x0.0000012(T-5) = 375.15 + 375.15x0.00041(T-5) - 3.4

From here you just equate the problem and solve for T.

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to increase in volume or size when subjected to a change in temperature.

2. Why is thermal expansion of a tank and its contents important?

Thermal expansion of a tank and its contents is important because it can cause significant changes in pressure and volume, potentially leading to damages or failures in the tank or its contents. It is crucial to understand and account for thermal expansion in order to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the tank and its contents.

3. How does thermal expansion affect the tank and its contents?

Thermal expansion can cause an increase in pressure within the tank, which can lead to potential leaks or ruptures. It can also cause changes in volume, which can affect the accuracy of measurements and the overall performance of the tank and its contents. Additionally, thermal expansion can also impact the structural integrity of the tank itself.

4. What factors can influence thermal expansion?

The main factors that can influence thermal expansion are the material and size of the tank and its contents, the temperature change, and the coefficient of thermal expansion of the materials involved. The shape and design of the tank can also play a role in thermal expansion.

5. How can thermal expansion be managed or prevented?

Thermal expansion can be managed or prevented by using materials with low coefficients of thermal expansion, designing the tank with proper expansion joints, and using temperature and pressure monitoring systems. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the tank to ensure its structural integrity and detect any potential issues caused by thermal expansion.