Thermal Expansion of Water in glass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
ManuelGR
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An ordinary drinking glass is filled to the brim with water (266.3 mL) at 3°C and placed on the sunny pool deck for a swimmer to enjoy. If the temperature of the water rises to 32°C before the swimmer reaches for the glass, how much water will have spilled over the top of the glass?

(Use the following values for the volume expansion coefficients:
For glass 28.2e-6/C and for water 207.0e-6/C)


Homework Equations


V=V0*B*T


The Attempt at a Solution


According to my book, the B for water is 210*10^-6.

I plugged in the values that I have, getting V=266.3*(210*10^-6)*29, and get 1.62177.

I do the same for glass, getting V=266.3*(27*10^-6)*29, and get 0.208513.

I subtract the 0.208513 from 1.62177 and get 1.41325.

What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ideasrule said:
Why do you think the answer's wrong? It looks right to me.

The assignment is online and the answer I got comes up as incorrect.
 
That could be due to a lot of reasons. Does the online app care about significant digits? Did it ask for the answer in mL, or in another unit? Is there a standard data table that you're supposed to use? (I notice that the coefficients you used in your problem statement are different from those in your solution.)