Thermal Expansion of a drinking glass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
mg1977
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

An ordinary drinking glass is filled to the brim with water(268.4mL) at 2.0C and placed on the sunny pool deck to enjoy. If the temp of the H2o rises 32.0C, how much water will spill out of the glass?Assuming no expansion for glass...



Homework Equations

B=207*10^-6 for water, so: do I still include the coeff for glass?



The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have: B(H20) * the difference of T *(if applicible)Vinital-a glass *the diff of T * Vinital
207*10^-6 *32.0 * 268.4mL = I end up with 1.77mL but the back of the book says 1.66mL What am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mg1977 said:

Homework Statement

An ordinary drinking glass is filled to the brim with water(268.4mL) at 2.0C and placed on the sunny pool deck to enjoy. If the temp of the H2o rises 32.0C, how much water will spill out of the glass?Assuming no expansion for glass...



Homework Equations

B=207*10^-6 for water, so: do I still include the coeff for glass?



The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have: B(H20) * the difference of T *(if applicible)Vinital-a glass *the diff of T * Vinital
207*10^-6 *32.0 * 268.4mL = I end up with 1.77mL but the back of the book says 1.66mL What am I missing?

Did the temperature rise by 32 degrees or to 32 degrees? Double check this part of the question.