Thermal expansion with set of 3 wires

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
awerter
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Three identical wires Lo, diameter d, are arranged like a Y letter (please see attachment)

Each end of the wires is secured to a wall. Initial tension is approximately zero. If the wires are cooled ΔT, find the distance the knot moves to the right and the final tension in each wire. (assume θ does not change when the knot moves.)


Homework Equations


ΔL = Lo[itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT
ΔL/Lo = -F/AY = [itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution


Tensions in wires: Fwire1 = 2 * Fwire2 * cos(θ/2)
Here is where I'm stuck. I think that the total expansion is zero, so the equation is something like this

ΔLtotal = ΔLwire1 + ΔLwire2 cos(θ/2)
= (Lo[itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT - Lo Fwire1/AY) + ( Lo[itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT - Lo Fwire2/AY) cos(θ/2) = 0

But I got the wrong answers. It is hard for me to visualize how the system changes with the assumption that θ is still the same. It doesn't make sense. Please help me.
Thank you very much.
 
Attachments
  • Utitled.png
    Utitled.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
This question can be solved by assuming a Young's modulus (Y) for the material. It helps to draw the diagram of individual wires before cooling, after cooling (assuming absence of other wires) and the real scenario after cooling. I have attached these in this reply. So just check it out and see whether it works. Here x is the required extension.
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
θ would change but the change could be small so they are telling you to assume it's constant.

I reckon for some angles Δx could be -ve, 0 or +ve.