1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal expansion with set of 3 wires

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three identical wires Lo, diameter d, are arranged like a Y letter (please see attachment)

Each end of the wires is secured to a wall. Initial tension is approximately zero. If the wires are cooled ΔT, find the distance the knot moves to the right and the final tension in each wire. (assume θ does not change when the knot moves.)

2. Relevant equations
    ΔL = Lo[itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT
    ΔL/Lo = -F/AY = [itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tensions in wires: Fwire1 = 2 * Fwire2 * cos(θ/2)
    Here is where I'm stuck. I think that the total expansion is zero, so the equation is something like this

ΔLtotal = ΔLwire1 + ΔLwire2 cos(θ/2)
    = (Lo[itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT - Lo Fwire1/AY) + ( Lo[itex]\alpha[/itex]ΔT - Lo Fwire2/AY) cos(θ/2) = 0

But I got the wrong answers. It is hard for me to visualize how the system changes with the assumption that θ is still the same. It doesn't make sense. Please help me.
    Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2
    This question can be solved by assuming a Young's modulus (Y) for the material. It helps to draw the diagram of individual wires before cooling, after cooling (assuming absence of other wires) and the real scenario after cooling. I have attached these in this reply. So just check it out and see whether it works. Here x is the required extension.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  4. Mar 31, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

θ would change but the change could be small so they are telling you to assume it's constant.

I reckon for some angles Δx could be -ve, 0 or +ve.

5. Mar 31, 2013 #4
    Thank you for all your help! I can do it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted