Thermal physics -- Converting the internal energy of argon atoms to temperature

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Kathhhriine
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
The internal energy of 6.46 grams of argon is 568 J. What is the temperature of the argon atoms?
Relevant Equations
I tried using U=3/2 NKbT, but i dont seem to get the correct answer..
I tried using U=3/2 NKbT, but i don't seem to get the correct answer..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us what answer you got and how you got it. Without this information we are as much in the dark as you are.
 
kuruman said:
Please show us what answer you got and how you got it. Without this information we are as much in the dark as you are.
I rearranged u=3/2NkbT, to get T=(2U)/(3NKb). Then i changed from mass to molecules, by taking N=(m/M)x(avogardos)=(6.46/39.9)x6.02x10^23=9.75x10^22. I plotted in the values; T=(2x568)/(9.75x10^22 x 1.3x10^-23 x3) =298K. The value given in the solution is 282K.
 
I got 281.4 K. I think you have a round-off error. Use the more accurate value ##k_B=1.38\times10^{23}~\mathrm{J/K}## for the Boltzmann constant.

BTW, Welcome to PF!

With an atomic mass of 39.95 u for Argon I got 281.8 K which rounds off to your given answer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Binh Minh Duong, Kathhhriine and etotheipi
kuruman said:
I got 281.4 K. I think you have a round-off error. Use the more accurate value ##k_B=1.38\times10^{23}~\mathrm{J/K}## for the Boltzmann constant.

BTW, Welcome to PF!

With an atomic mass of 39.95 u for Argon I got 281.8 K which rounds off to your given answer.
Thank you!