Correct statement about internal energy

In summary: However, if all the photons have the same internal energy then they will not collide and their temperature will not change.In summary, both A and B are correct.
songoku

Homework Statement

Which statement about internal energy is correct?
A. When two system have the same internal energy, they must be at the same temperature
B. When the internal energy of a system is increased, its temperature always rises
C. The internal energy of a system depends only on its temperature
D. The internal energy of a system can be increased without transfer of energy by heating

Homework Equations

U = PE + KE

ΔU = Q - W

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is D my not sure about the reasoning. If let say I rub a metal against rough floor, the friction will increase the temperature of the metal hence the internal energy increase. Is this example of increasing internal energy without heating?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
D is the correct answer according to me too but i had another example in my mind: Adiabatic compression of a gas, then we have ##Q=0## and ##\Delta U=-W##, that is the internal energy increases due to the mechanical work ##W## from the environmental surroundings to the gas.

songoku said:
Is this example of increasing internal energy without heating?
No, I think they are looking for a counterexample to the other options, i.e. an increase in internal energy without a temperature change.

haruspex said:
No, I think they are looking for a counterexample to the other options, i.e. an increase in internal energy without a temperature change.

Example mentioned by @Delta2 suits option D or maybe not because for ideal gas change in internal energy corresponds to change in temperature?

songoku said:
Example mentioned by @Delta2 suits option D or maybe not because for ideal gas change in internal energy corresponds to change in temperature?
I believe my example is correct regardless of how the internal energy of an ideal gas depends on temperature. Option D says that "can be increased" which means that if you find one example that satisfies it, it is enough.

@haruspex is just saying that maybe you should provide counter examples for the cases A to C, but i don't believe that is needed either.

Anyway one counterexample for B is for example we have a system that its internal energy increases due to flow of additional mass into the system at the same temperature. The temperature remains constant but because mass increases the internal energy also increases.
You can find similar counterexamples for A and C by considering the mass of the system...

Delta2 said:
@haruspex is just saying that maybe you should provide counter examples for the cases A to C, but i don't believe that is needed either
I am saying that since D contradicts the other options an example of D is necessarily a counterexample of the others.

I go with D also. It's undoubetdly correct, per post #2. But I woukld have thought B also to be correct. It certainly is for an ideal gas where internal energy is solely an increasing function of temperature and I would have thought that fact extended more or less for other substances.

rude man said:
I would have thought B also to be correct.
How about moving two magnets further apart? Wouldn't that increase internal energy, with no temperature change?

Likes Delta2
rude man said:
I go with D also. It's undoubetdly correct, per post #2. But I woukld have thought B also to be correct. It certainly is for an ideal gas where internal energy is solely an increasing function of temperature and I would have thought that fact extended more or less for other substances.
Definitely not. It is also a function of specific volume. $$dU=C_VdT-\left[P-T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V\right]dV$$

Likes Delta2
Chestermiller said:
Definitely not. It is also a function of specific volume. $$dU=C_VdT-\left[P-T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V\right]dV$$
If you solve for dT in the above is it really possible for U to increase without increasing T in a real system? Have you looked at this with the van der Waal equation for example? Or is it maybe true for liquids and/or solids exclusively?

rude man said:
If you solve for dT in the above is it really possible for U to increase without increasing T in a real system? Have you looked at this with the van der Waal equation for example? Or is it maybe true for liquids and/or solids exclusively?
van der Waals equation: $$P=-\frac{a}{V^2}+\frac{RT}{(V-b)}$$
$$P-T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V=-\frac{a}{V^2}$$

No D is probably not the answer..because friction "does" involve transfer of heat energy itself.
C: As temperature is the average Kinetic Energy of all the particles in the body.. your first equation denies this fact. As you are adding P.E to K.E to get U
B: Yes. When the temperature of a body is increase, internal energy does increase because as temperature increases the particles will vibrate and move with more Kinetic Energy hence they will collide with each other and the surrounding plus their own Energy increases.
A: Yes and No both...because Heat(Internal) is Kinetic Energy at the microscopic level. So, the increase in Kinetic Energy of one, let's say photon, will be negligible...

Please correct me If I am wrong..
Thanks!

Bilal Rajab Abbasi said:
No D is probably not the answer..because friction "does" involve transfer of heat energy itself.
Who said anything about friction in D?

Chestermiller said:
Who said anything about friction in D?
Um, see The explanation at the end please

Bilal Rajab Abbasi said:
As I showed in posts #9 and 11, the internal energy of a gas can increase even if its temperature remains constant. The internal energy is the sum of the kinetic energy of the molecules and their potential energy of mutual interaction. When a real gas is compressed sufficiently, the molecules come close enough together to increase the potential energy of mutual interactions, and therefore internal energy.

Bilal Rajab Abbasi said:
That was only songoku's guess at how D could work. That guess can be wrong without making D wrong.

I am really sorry for late reply.

haruspex said:
How about moving two magnets further apart? Wouldn't that increase internal energy, with no temperature change?

There is internal energy between two magnets? Can you please elaborate more about it?

Thanks

songoku said:
I am really sorry for late reply.
There is internal energy between two magnets? Can you please elaborate more about it?

Thanks
In a system consisting of two magnets, wouldn't increasing their PE constitute adding internal energy to the system!

haruspex said:
In a system consisting of two magnets, wouldn't increasing their PE constitute adding internal energy to the system!
In the more general version of the first law of thermodynamics, gravitational potential energy and macroscopic kinetic energy are treated separately from the internal energy U: $$\Delta E=\Delta U+\Delta (PE)+\Delta (KE)=Q-W$$ I think the same would apply to two magnets.

In the OPs first post, he mistakenly assumed that the U in the equation U=KE+PE is the same as the internal energy function U in the first law of thermodynamics. The U in the thermodynamic equation is the internal energy associated with small scale molecular interactions and random molecular kinetic energy.

Likes Delta2
songoku said:
D. The internal energy of a system can be increased without transfer of energy by heating
if the system is compressed isobarically and adibatically then the internal energy increases .
e.g ΔU=-pΔV,
where ΔV <0

songoku said:
B. When the internal energy of a system is increased, its temperature always rises
For ideal gas it is true as dU=Cvdt,
But may not be true for other gases.

songoku said:
A. When two system have the same internal energy, they must be at the same temperature
Same for ideal gas but may not be true for other gas.

Apashanka said:
For ideal gas it is true as dU=Cvdt,
But may not be true for other gases.
There is a very common situation where the internal energy of a system changes while the temperature stays constant. Thinking in terms of gases only is not the way to go.
Apashanka said:
Same for ideal gas but may not be true for other gas.
So if I have two ideal gases in different quantities at the same temperature, they have the same internal energy?

DrClaude said:
There is a very common situation where the internal energy of a system changes while the temperature stays constant. Thinking in terms of gases only is not the way to go.
So if I have two ideal gases in different quantities at the same temperature, they have the same internal energy?
No mass need to be taken into account and also the specific heat at constt. volume

Last edited:
Apashanka said:
No mass need to be taken into account and also the specific heat at constt. volume
Who said anything about specific heat? The statement is

This is a generic statement. It is important for anyone wanting to understand thermodynamics that temperature by itself says nothing about the internal energy of a system. It is crucial to understand that energy is an extensive quantity while temperature is intensive.

haruspex said:
Oh I see.

Chestermiller said:
In the more general version of the first law of thermodynamics, gravitational potential energy and macroscopic kinetic energy are treated separately from the internal energy U: $$\Delta E=\Delta U+\Delta (PE)+\Delta (KE)=Q-W$$ I think the same would apply to two magnets.

In the OPs first post, he mistakenly assumed that the U in the equation U=KE+PE is the same as the internal energy function U in the first law of thermodynamics. The U in the thermodynamic equation is the internal energy associated with small scale molecular interactions and random molecular kinetic energy.

Yeah I always think they are the same :rolleyes:

I think I get it. Thank you very much for all the help

What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the sum of all the microscopic kinetic and potential energies of the particles that make up a system. It includes the energy associated with the temperature, pressure, and phase of the system.

How is internal energy different from heat?

Heat is the transfer of energy between two systems, while internal energy is the total energy contained within a single system. Heat can change the internal energy of a system, but they are not interchangeable.

Can internal energy be measured?

Yes, internal energy can be measured indirectly by measuring the temperature, pressure, and volume of a system and using mathematical equations such as the ideal gas law and the first law of thermodynamics.

What factors affect the internal energy of a system?

The internal energy of a system is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and volume. It can also be influenced by the type of particles present in the system, the number of particles, and the interactions between them.

How is internal energy related to work?

Internal energy and work are both forms of energy, but they are not the same. Work is the transfer of energy due to a force acting on a system, while internal energy is the total energy contained within a system. Work can change the internal energy of a system, but they are not interchangeable.