Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Radiation from a Liquid or Gas

1. Aug 12, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I've been trying to find out how to calculate heat loss from a gas or liquid vs. temp. My understanding is that this is not a simple blackbody problem for a variety of reasons... guess it's more a gray-body problem. Have not been successful at finding papers or texts which deal with this specific issue. Are there simple ways to get approximate solutions to this problem or is this much simpler than I realize. Any insights or leads would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Radiation heat losses are reasonably straightforward to calculate- the total power radiated is a product of the temperature-weighted blackbody curve with the spectrally-weighted emissivity, integrated over all wavelengths.

There can be other processes- conduction and convection- that cause heat transfer as well. Those can be much more complicated, depending on the geometry.

4. Aug 13, 2008 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Rohsenow & Hartnett

5. Aug 13, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the help Andy and Bystander.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?