I have a question about thermal expansion of liquid into a gas void. Imagine a closed upright cylinder filled mostly with water – say 99%, and the remaining 1% is gas. Now imagine that you heat the cylinder and its contents. The water will expand by ΔV owing to thermal expansion. The gas, being also heated, will also attempt to expand. But as gas is much more compressible than water, the water will expand into the gas void space. The Gas pressure will then increase owing to the fact that it has now been compressed. But what happens if the thermal expansion of the water is equal to the void space? i.e. what happens if the water is heated to an extent that ΔV = 1% of the cylinder volume (gas void)? Surely the gas cannot be infinitely compressed. So my question is: At which point does water expansion halt? Whats the minimum possible compressed gas volume? Does it eventually dissolve into the water?