Thermo - Difference between Potential and P/rho

In summary: For example, if you had a closed tank with water in it, and you had a pump that was removing water from the tank, then the pressure at the pump would be greater than the pressure at the top of the tank. In that case, you would have a non-zero ##\Delta P## and the pressure would not cancel in ##\Delta P/\rho##.It is used in cases where the pressure actually is different between the two points you are considering. For example, if you had a closed tank with water in it, and you had a pump that was removing water from the tank, then the pressure at the pump would be greater than the pressure at the top of the tank. In that case, you
LT72884
Ok, I am stuck on understanding when to use a part of an equation and when not to.

e = (P/rho) + (Ke/m) + (Pe/m) where P is pressure, Ke and Pe are Kinetic and potential energy divided by mass.

Ok, if we look at P/rho and P is defined as rho(g)(h) then the rho's divide out and we are left with the exact same thing as Pe/m or just gh.

My question. How do i know when to use P/rho or Pe/m in a question? yes, i end up with same answer, but my procedure is incorrect.

Ex
Water is pumped from a lower reservoir to a higher reservoir by a pump that provides 20 kW of shaft power. The free surface of the upper reservoir is 45 m higher than that of the lower reservoir. If the flow rate of water is measured to be 0.03 m3/s, determine mechanical power that is converted to thermal energy during this process due to frictional effects.

My procedure is as follows:

e(mechanical) = P/rho. i chose this because there is no change in velocity or PE. granted there is a height difference but P/rho yields (gravity)(height) which is the same as Pe/m.

i then plug e(mech) into `E = `me which yeilds (0.03m3/sec)(9.81m/s2)(45m) = 13.2 kW after a conversion.

here is my issue. i end up with same answer even though i WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO USE (P/rho) I was SUPPOSED TO USE (Pe/m). Yes, i got lucky but why is my approach wrong? To me, in my mind, i said to myself " P/rho is for fluids and is a flow rate. Water is a fluid and it is flowing at some rate into the turbo, producing some amount of power in kj/kg of water"

Thanks. I am just trying to understand how to decifer the problems correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a change in potential energy, as you pointed out. P is the pressure, and it is the same at the surface of the upper reservoir as at the surface of the lower reservoir (atmospheric pressure) So the change in P/rho is zero between these two points. The flow velocities are also zero at the reservoir surfaces.

Your mistake is assuming that the change in P/rho is the same as gz, which it is not (unless the system is hydrostatic).

Chestermiller said:
There is a change in potential energy, as you pointed out. P is the pressure, and it is the same at the surface of the upper reservoir as at the surface of the lower reservoir (atmospheric pressure) So the change in P/rho is zero between these two points. The flow velocities are also zero at the reservoir surfaces.

Your mistake is assuming that the change in P/rho is the same as gz, which it is not (unless the system is hydrostatic).
I see what you are saying, and the numbers come out exatly the same regardless if i use Pe or P/rho. Thats what is throwing me off. I have tried it both ways with exact same numbers. The solutions manual did it a different way and ended up same numbers haha.

Im not trying to contradict you or argue. Just trying to learn and connect the dots

LT72884 said:
I see what you are saying, and the numbers come out exatly the same regardless if i use Pe or P/rho. Thats what is throwing me off. I have tried it both ways with exact same numbers. The solutions manual did it a different way and ended up same numbers haha.

Im not trying to contradict you or argue. Just trying to learn and connect the dots
The answer is coming out correct because you made an error by replacing ##g\Delta z## by ##\frac{\Delta P}{\rho}##. In this problem ##\Delta P/\rho## is zero. So, basically, you made two compensating errors.

Likes LT72884
Chestermiller said:
The answer is coming out correct because you made an error by replacing ##g\Delta z## by ##\frac{\Delta P}{\rho}##. In this problem ##\Delta P/\rho## is zero. So, basically, you made two compensating errors.
So what you are saying is... i got lucky haha.

Ok, i need to re-read your post and the question and follow it the right way.

So what IS P/rho used for then?

Thanks

LT72884 said:
So what you are saying is... i got lucky haha.

Ok, i need to re-read your post and the question and follow it the right way.

So what IS P/rho used for then?

Thanks
It is used in cases where the pressure actually is different between the two points you are considering.

Likes LT72884

What is the difference between potential and P/rho in thermodynamics?

Potential in thermodynamics refers to the energy stored in a system due to its position or configuration. It is a scalar quantity and is typically denoted by the symbol "U". On the other hand, P/rho (pressure divided by density) is a thermodynamic property known as specific volume. It is a measure of how much space a substance occupies per unit mass and is commonly represented by the symbol "v". While potential is a measure of energy, P/rho is a measure of volume.

How are potential and P/rho related in thermodynamics?

Potential and P/rho are related through the fundamental thermodynamic equation, which states that the change in potential energy of a system is equal to the negative of the product of pressure and change in volume. This can be mathematically represented as dU = -PdV. Therefore, as P/rho is a measure of volume, it is indirectly related to potential through this equation.

What are some examples of potential and P/rho in thermodynamics?

Examples of potential in thermodynamics include gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, and chemical potential energy. These are all forms of energy that are stored due to the position or configuration of a system. Examples of P/rho in thermodynamics include specific volume of gases, liquids, and solids. For instance, the specific volume of a gas increases with increasing temperature, while the specific volume of a solid decreases with increasing pressure.

Why is it important to understand the difference between potential and P/rho in thermodynamics?

Understanding the difference between potential and P/rho is important because it helps us to better understand the behavior of a system and its thermodynamic properties. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in various thermodynamic processes and applications, such as in power generation, refrigeration, and chemical reactions. Additionally, understanding these concepts is crucial for the development of new technologies and advancements in the field of thermodynamics.

How can potential and P/rho be measured in thermodynamics?

Potential can be measured using various techniques, depending on the type of potential being measured. For example, gravitational potential energy can be measured using a scale or a balance, while chemical potential energy can be measured using a calorimeter. On the other hand, P/rho can be measured using instruments such as a manometer, a barometer, or a densitometer. These instruments can provide accurate measurements of pressure and density, which can then be used to calculate P/rho.