1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermochemistry & Gases in Electrical Engineering?

1. Oct 10, 2016 #1
    I'm a first year electrical engineering student and in my General Chemistry class, every other week, we're required to write a paragraph about how each weeks material relates to your future career. As I am in electrical engineering, I don't see much relation to any topic. This week is thermochemistry and gases/gas laws. Any tips would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I would look into machines and processes that deal with those topics. Look at automated versions of doing that chemistry, and write about the hardware and software to control it all. Try to find real systems that involve the material you are studying, and write about how those machines work and can be improved with more advanced EE improvements.

4. Oct 10, 2016 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe something like https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_hexafluoride_circuit_breaker

5. Oct 10, 2016 #4

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

semiconductor processing. Much of it is done in very low pressure "vacuum" systems and specific temperatures. Specific gasses are used during parts of the processing so that the proper chemical reactions occur. You can likely find a little material on that subject.

6. Oct 11, 2016 #5
    Thanks for that suggestion, really helped me pinpoint an area to cover. Much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted