Thermochemistry & Gases in Electrical Engineering?

In summary, thermochemistry and gases/gas laws don't seem to have much to do with electrical engineering, but machines and processes that deal with those topics could be a good place to start.
Autumnhaze
I'm a first year electrical engineering student and in my General Chemistry class, every other week, we're required to write a paragraph about how each weeks material relates to your future career. As I am in electrical engineering, I don't see much relation to any topic. This week is thermochemistry and gases/gas laws. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Autumnhaze said:
I'm a first year electrical engineering student and in my General Chemistry class, every other week, we're required to write a paragraph about how each weeks material relates to your future career. As I am in electrical engineering, I don't see much relation to any topic. This week is thermochemistry and gases/gas laws. Any tips would be much appreciated.
Welcome to the PF.

I would look into machines and processes that deal with those topics. Look at automated versions of doing that chemistry, and write about the hardware and software to control it all. Try to find real systems that involve the material you are studying, and write about how those machines work and can be improved with more advanced EE improvements.

Likes Autumnhaze
Autumnhaze said:

Maybe something like https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_hexafluoride_circuit_breaker

Likes Autumnhaze
semiconductor processing. Much of it is done in very low pressure "vacuum" systems and specific temperatures. Specific gasses are used during parts of the processing so that the proper chemical reactions occur. You can likely find a little material on that subject.

Likes Autumnhaze
jasonRF said:
semiconductor processing. Much of it is done in very low pressure "vacuum" systems and specific temperatures. Specific gasses are used during parts of the processing so that the proper chemical reactions occur. You can likely find a little material on that subject.
Thanks for that suggestion, really helped me pinpoint an area to cover. Much appreciated.

1. What is thermochemistry and how does it relate to electrical engineering?

Thermochemistry is the study of the heat energy involved in chemical reactions and processes. In electrical engineering, thermochemistry is important in understanding the energy transfer and conversion that occur in electrical devices and systems.

2. How do gases play a role in electrical engineering?

Gases are commonly used in electrical engineering for insulation and cooling purposes. They can also be used as a medium for electrical discharges in devices such as neon lights and plasma displays.

3. What is the significance of understanding the properties of gases in electrical engineering?

In electrical engineering, gases have unique properties that can affect the performance and safety of devices and systems. Understanding these properties is crucial in designing and operating efficient and reliable electrical systems.

4. How does the ideal gas law apply to electrical engineering?

The ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas, is often used in calculations and simulations in electrical engineering. It can be applied to determine the behavior of gases in various electrical systems.

5. What are some common applications of thermochemistry and gases in electrical engineering?

Some common applications include the use of gases in power plants for producing electricity, the use of thermochemical processes in battery technology, and the use of gases in the production of semiconductors for electronic devices.