1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermocouple voltage compensator

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1
    Hey,

Anyone know where I might be able to get a thermocouple voltage compensator (an electrical "ice bath" circuit) for cheap or if I may be able to make one? For a T and/or K type thermocouple. I am looking in the range of $30 or less.

Here is a description of what I'm talking about. Just replacing ice bath with an electrical setup as shown lower down on that page for convenience.

http://www.omega.com/techref/thermoref.html

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi danja. Any meter used to read thermocouples (that I've ever seen) has this built in. You just connect a single thermocouple to the meter and program in what type of thermocouple you're using and it automatically compensates for ambient temperature. Not sure you can find one for $30 or less, but I'm not that familiar with prices on these things.

4. Sep 5, 2009 #3
    Yea, however I am trying to get away without needing one of those meters because they are not so cheap. =)

Just want to be able to use them reliably with a voltmeter or other meter without an ice bath for reference.

5. Sep 5, 2009 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, I don't know of anything else that does this automatically. Why don't you want to measure your reference temperature with something like a thermistor, then compensate manually?

6. Sep 5, 2009 #5
    What temperatures are you going up to? If it is less then 200 deg c you could try using an RTD.

7. Sep 5, 2009 #6
    Yea, well the reason is that I happened upon some thermocouples for free (well not free, but I was never re-imbursed for them as planned so after the experiment I kept them), and just want an easy way to use them.

I am basically looking for a cheaper version of this:
    http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=SMCJ&Nav=temk04

It's just a substitute for onboard circuitry. It would allow me to use a voltmeter and not worry about a reference temperature for measurements.

8. Sep 5, 2009 #7
    How accurate do your measurements need to be?

9. Sep 5, 2009 #8
    No requirements, but preferably from 1-3 degrees C at the worst.

10. Sep 7, 2009 #9
    The cheapest option is probably to check the cold junction temperature with a thermometer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook