Thermocouple voltage compensator

In summary: If it is close enough to the nominal temperature then a voltage compensator is not necessary.I don't think a voltmeter is necessary, but you could use one if you want. Just make sure you have the right type for your thermocouple.In summary, you are looking for a voltage compensator that will allow you to measure temperature accurately without needing a reference temperature.
danja
Hey,

Anyone know where I might be able to get a thermocouple voltage compensator (an electrical "ice bath" circuit) for cheap or if I may be able to make one? For a T and/or K type thermocouple. I am looking in the range of $30 or less.

Here is a description of what I'm talking about. Just replacing ice bath with an electrical setup as shown lower down on that page for convenience.

http://www.omega.com/techref/thermoref.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi danja. Any meter used to read thermocouples (that I've ever seen) has this built in. You just connect a single thermocouple to the meter and program in what type of thermocouple you're using and it automatically compensates for ambient temperature. Not sure you can find one for $30 or less, but I'm not that familiar with prices on these things.

Q_Goest said:
Hi danja. Any meter used to read thermocouples (that I've ever seen) has this built in. You just connect a single thermocouple to the meter and program in what type of thermocouple you're using and it automatically compensates for ambient temperature. Not sure you can find one for $30 or less, but I'm not that familiar with prices on these things.

Yea, however I am trying to get away without needing one of those meters because they are not so cheap. =)

Just want to be able to use them reliably with a voltmeter or other meter without an ice bath for reference.

Ok, I don't know of anything else that does this automatically. Why don't you want to measure your reference temperature with something like a thermistor, then compensate manually?

What temperatures are you going up to? If it is less then 200 deg c you could try using an RTD.

Q_Goest said:
Ok, I don't know of anything else that does this automatically. Why don't you want to measure your reference temperature with something like a thermistor, then compensate manually?

Jobrag said:
What temperatures are you going up to? If it is less then 200 deg c you could try using an RTD.

Yea, well the reason is that I happened upon some thermocouples for free (well not free, but I was never re-imbursed for them as planned so after the experiment I kept them), and just want an easy way to use them.

I am basically looking for a cheaper version of this:
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=SMCJ&Nav=temk04

It's just a substitute for onboard circuitry. It would allow me to use a voltmeter and not worry about a reference temperature for measurements.

How accurate do your measurements need to be?

Jobrag said:
How accurate do your measurements need to be?

No requirements, but preferably from 1-3 degrees C at the worst.

The cheapest option is probably to check the cold junction temperature with a thermometer.

1. What is a thermocouple voltage compensator?

A thermocouple voltage compensator is a device used to adjust the output voltage of a thermocouple in order to compensate for any errors or inaccuracies caused by variations in temperature or other factors. It ensures that the measured voltage accurately reflects the temperature being measured.

2. How does a thermocouple voltage compensator work?

A thermocouple voltage compensator works by comparing the output voltage of the thermocouple to a reference voltage and then adjusting the output accordingly. This is typically done using electronic circuits and algorithms to calculate the appropriate correction to be applied.

3. What are the benefits of using a thermocouple voltage compensator?

The main benefit of using a thermocouple voltage compensator is increased accuracy and precision in temperature measurement. By compensating for any errors or variations, the measured temperature is more reliable and can be used for critical applications such as in scientific experiments or industrial processes.

4. Are there different types of thermocouple voltage compensators?

Yes, there are various types of thermocouple voltage compensators available, including analog and digital versions. Some compensators are designed for specific types of thermocouples, while others can work with multiple types. The choice of compensator will depend on the specific application and temperature range.

5. How do I choose the right thermocouple voltage compensator for my needs?

Choosing the right thermocouple voltage compensator will depend on several factors, including the type of thermocouple being used, the temperature range of the application, and the required accuracy. It is important to carefully research and compare different options to find the best fit for your specific needs.