Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermocouple voltage compensator

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1
    Hey,

Anyone know where I might be able to get a thermocouple voltage compensator (an electrical "ice bath" circuit) for cheap or if I may be able to make one? For a T and/or K type thermocouple. I am looking in the range of $30 or less.

Here is a description of what I'm talking about. Just replacing ice bath with an electrical setup as shown lower down on that page for convenience.

http://www.omega.com/techref/thermoref.html

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi danja. Any meter used to read thermocouples (that I've ever seen) has this built in. You just connect a single thermocouple to the meter and program in what type of thermocouple you're using and it automatically compensates for ambient temperature. Not sure you can find one for $30 or less, but I'm not that familiar with prices on these things.

4. Sep 5, 2009 #3
    Yea, however I am trying to get away without needing one of those meters because they are not so cheap. =)

Just want to be able to use them reliably with a voltmeter or other meter without an ice bath for reference.

5. Sep 5, 2009 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, I don't know of anything else that does this automatically. Why don't you want to measure your reference temperature with something like a thermistor, then compensate manually?

6. Sep 5, 2009 #5
    What temperatures are you going up to? If it is less then 200 deg c you could try using an RTD.

7. Sep 5, 2009 #6
    Yea, well the reason is that I happened upon some thermocouples for free (well not free, but I was never re-imbursed for them as planned so after the experiment I kept them), and just want an easy way to use them.

I am basically looking for a cheaper version of this:
    http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=SMCJ&Nav=temk04

It's just a substitute for onboard circuitry. It would allow me to use a voltmeter and not worry about a reference temperature for measurements.

8. Sep 5, 2009 #7
    How accurate do your measurements need to be?

9. Sep 5, 2009 #8
    No requirements, but preferably from 1-3 degrees C at the worst.

10. Sep 7, 2009 #9
    The cheapest option is probably to check the cold junction temperature with a thermometer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook