Thermodynamic second derivatives?

In summary, second derivatives of free energy give you the mean fluctuations of e.g. energy or particle numbers.
maistral
This is for research purposes.

I am aware that first derivatives in thermodynamics always occur (a no-brainer). Do second derivatives occur in thermodynamics commonly as well?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, they are important to analyse stability, i.e. entropy should be maximal. In statistical thermodynamics, second derivatives of free energy gives you the mean fluctuations of e.g. energy or particle numbers.

Hi, thanks for replying. Am i correct to assume that this is d2Q/dT2?

Also, could I ask a reference for this information? Thank you very much!

I mean, I need the reference for the writeup. Thank you!

maistral said:
This is for research purposes.

I am aware that first derivatives in thermodynamics always occur (a no-brainer). Do second derivatives occur in thermodynamics commonly as well?

And how! Material properties are second derivatives of thermodynamic potentials. For example, the thermal expansion coefficient is $$\alpha_V=\frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)=\frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial^2 G}{\partial T\partial P}\right)$$ The stiffness is $$E=\left(\frac{\partial\sigma}{\partial\epsilon}\right)=\frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial\epsilon^2}\right)$$ The heat capacity is $$c=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)=-T\left(\frac{\partial^2 G}{\partial T^2}\right)$$ And so on.

Last edited:
In the book "Thermodynamics foundations and applications" (E. P. Gyftopoulos, G. P. Beretta), Chapters 9 and 10 they often use the second derivative of entropy.

Likes maistral
Mapes said:
And how! Material properties are second derivatives of thermodynamic potentials. For example, the thermal expansion coefficient is $$\alpha_V=\frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)=\frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial^2 G}{\partial T\partial P}\right)$$ The stiffness is $$E=\left(\frac{\partial\sigma}{\partial\epsilon}\right)=\frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial\epsilon^2}\right)$$ The heat capacity is $$c=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)=T\left(\frac{\partial^2 G}{\partial T^2}\right)$$ And so on.
Regarding the last equation, should there be a minus sign? dG=-SdT+VdP

As always, thank you Chester! Edited to fix.

And the reason I should have caught that is that the curves of the Gibbs free energy have an increasingly negative slope with increasing temperature. And when drawn correctly, they end up at T = 0 K as a straight flat line, because the entropy and the heat capacity are zero at absolute zero.

Thanks guys!

Likes DoItForYourself
DoItForYourself said:
In the book "Thermodynamics foundations and applications" (E. P. Gyftopoulos, G. P. Beretta), Chapters 9 and 10 they often use the second derivative of entropy.

Thank you very much. I'll try and get the resource; this will be of great importance to my study :biggrin:

For now, I'm relaxing and playing around with Laplace transforms. Thanks again!

1. What are thermodynamic second derivatives?

Thermodynamic second derivatives refer to the mathematical calculations used to determine the rate of change in thermodynamic properties as a system undergoes a change in state.

2. What is the significance of thermodynamic second derivatives?

Thermodynamic second derivatives allow scientists to study the behavior of thermodynamic properties and predict how they will change in response to different conditions or processes.

3. What is an example of a thermodynamic second derivative?

One example of a thermodynamic second derivative is the heat capacity, which measures the change in enthalpy with respect to temperature.

4. How are thermodynamic second derivatives calculated?

Thermodynamic second derivatives are calculated using mathematical formulas, such as the Maxwell relations, which relate different thermodynamic properties to each other.

5. What are the applications of thermodynamic second derivatives?

Thermodynamic second derivatives have numerous applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering, where they are used to understand and optimize processes such as heat transfer, phase transitions, and chemical reactions.