Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics

I am currently enrolled in PHY4523 - Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics where we are currently using "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by F. Reif and I was wondering if there were any good recommendations as far as supplemental texts that I could use in helping me understand some of the core concepts in Statistical Mechanics? In addition, any textbook that contains a good amount of examples or problems with worked out solutions so that I can follow their reasoning would be greatly appreciated! On a side note, I have never taken probability theory prior to enrolling in PHY4523, thus, I am learning some of the concepts for the very first time. Thanks.

Answers and Replies

That book by F. Reif is actually far better than most other commonly used textbooks. E.g. the book by Kittel on the same subject is i.m.o. horrible.

jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I too learned from Reif's book. One recent book that I think is quite different than Reif but easier reading is "Thermal Physics" by Schroeder. He doesn't do a ton of example problems for you, but has a very clear presentation with interesting applications. If I had to teach myself the subject these days, I would surely use Schroeder's book. I'm not aware of any books at this level that do a bunch of example problems for you. you may want to google to find posted solutions to homework problems for similar courses if you want some practice problems to work.

jason

Here are a set of lecture notes from UT-Asutin which condense main points of the Reif textbook. I know that it may not be completely helpful for problem-solving, but it is beneficial for review.

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/sm1/lectures.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: