1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics book

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    Hey guys,

I've never studied this subject before (except basic thermal physics in high school), and I have a course on it this semester. I'm in a semi international program, and this course isn't taught in English (but the tutorials are, thankfully), so I will need to study on my own.

In general, the English references aren't necessarily reliable, and the teachers just picked a few random books. So far, we've only had one teacher who went through the trouble of properly looking for suitable books to help the foreign students. Which is why I turn to you.

Here is a link to the course description.

Wasn't sure how to tag this as, and my browser was acting out. Sorry if I chose the wrong one.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2015 #2

MarcusAgrippa

Gold Member

The books by Adkins, and by Carruthers, both published by Cambridge, are excellent introductions. The monograph by Fermi is also very useful, but it does not contain exercises.

4. Apr 14, 2015 #3
    Do you mean Equilibrium Thermodynamics by Adkins? This one, I've found, but I can't even find the title of the other book!

What is its actual name?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at it.

If others have anything else to suggest, feel free.

5. Apr 14, 2015 #4

MarcusAgrippa

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Apr 14, 2015 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

7. Apr 14, 2015 #6
    I've used Schroeder and I somewhat recommend against it. It seems to be very elementary in scope and application and I had a hard time with his style of writing. I would however recommend Dr Tong's notes on statistical mechanics,

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/statphys/sp.pdf

and Reif's book titled "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted