Thermodynamics cycle with liquid and gas

In summary, this thermodynamics cycle is not possible because the gas can't become a liquid but why? Nobody for help me.
Gh778
I'm trying to find why this thermodynamics cycle is not possible but I don't find. The only problem for me is at step 3, the gas can't become a liquid but why ?

Attachments

• g1g2b.png
    g1g2b.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 465
Science news on Phys.org
nobody for help me ?

What about the heating of the cylinder at step 2? Maybe that's where the Energy comes from. If it does than you will not have any problem.
didn't you say that it's an insulated system? If it is, how does the atmosphere heats it? If it's not, energy can move from the system to the atmosphere.

The system is isolated except heating from atmosphere. The heating from atmosphere give energy to gas and liquid at step 2. But like that, the system recover energy from only one source of heating, this break the 2° law of thermodynamics and it's not possible.

My questions is: Is it possible to have a liquid from 2 gas with different temperature for the transformation in liquid (butane and propane for example) ? Is it possible to step 3 to exist ?

I'm not sure because the expansion of gas reduce temperature of 2 gas, if this temperature is below the temperature of liquefaction of gas G2, why this gas don't become a liquid because it has always a pressure from G1 gas ? The expansion of 2 gas can continue in the time G2 become a liquid, because G2 will give energy to G1 during the time of liquefaction. For example, with G1=nitrogen and G2=butane.

Last edited:
If the gas cooled and compressed itself to where it started, the conservation of energy balance wouldn't work out. Compression and expansion are reversible only if there is no heat transfer or net work out.

I suggest getting a thermodynamics textbook and start learning how these processes work rather than just guessing. Or at least read the wiki page on this.

If the gas cooled and compressed itself to where it started, the conservation of energy balance wouldn't work out.
Could you explain a little more, I don't understand ?

For me: if the valve give works at step 3, G1 and G2 lost temperature, when G2 start to become a liquid it give energy at G1 gas, this energy can be recover from valve. When G2 is liquid: stop to recover energy form valve. But the reality is how ?

1. What is a thermodynamic cycle?

A thermodynamic cycle is a series of processes that a system undergoes and eventually returns to its original state. It is also known as a closed system because no mass enters or exits the system during the cycle.

2. What is the difference between liquid and gas in a thermodynamic cycle?

Liquid and gas are two different states of matter that can be present in a thermodynamic cycle. A liquid has a fixed volume and takes the shape of its container, while a gas fills the entire container and has no fixed shape or volume.

3. How does heat transfer occur in a thermodynamic cycle with liquid and gas?

In a thermodynamic cycle, heat transfer occurs through two main mechanisms: conduction and convection. In conduction, heat is transferred through direct contact between the liquid or gas and a heat source. In convection, heat is transferred through the movement of the liquid or gas particles.

4. What are some common examples of thermodynamic cycles with liquid and gas?

Some common examples of thermodynamic cycles with liquid and gas include the Carnot cycle, the Rankine cycle, and the Brayton cycle. These cycles are commonly used in power plants to convert heat energy into mechanical work.

5. How does the second law of thermodynamics apply to a cycle with liquid and gas?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy conversion process, the total entropy of a closed system always increases. In a thermodynamic cycle with liquid and gas, this means that some energy is always lost as heat due to inefficiencies in the system, leading to an overall increase in entropy.