Thermodynamics: Finding the molar heat capacity

In summary, the ideal gas has a molar heat capacity ##C_V## at constant volume. If the gas undergoes a process in which work is done, the molar heat capacity changes as a function of its volume.
Saitama

Homework Statement

An ideal gas has a molar heat capacity ##C_V## at constant volume. Find the molar heat capacity of this gas as a function of its volume ##V##, if the gas undergoes the following process: ##T=T_0e^{\alpha V}## here ##T_0## and ##\alpha## are constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Work done by gas: ##\displaystyle W=\int PdV##
From ideal gas equation: ##PV=nRT=nRT_0e^{\alpha V}##. Hence
[tex]W=\int_{V_1}^{V_2} \frac{nRT_0 e^{\alpha V}}{V}dV[/tex]
But I cannot integrate this. :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no work is done if the volume is kept constant - sorry I jumped too quickly on this.

Basic_Physics said:
no work is done if the volume is kept constant

Yes but the question does not state that the volume is constant during the process.

It might help to integrate by parts.

Ask yourself: What is heat capacity?

ehild

ehild said:
Ask yourself: What is heat capacity?

ehild

Heat required to change the temperature of a body by a given amount.

I approached the problem the same way as I have done for the polytropic processes. I calculate the work done in those processes through integration in terms of ##\Delta T##, change in temperature. I then write the change in internal energy in terms of ##\Delta T## and plug them in ##Q=W+\Delta U##. Rewriting Q in terms of heat capacity, I obtain the answer. Is it incorrect to use the same approach here?

Pranav-Arora said:
Heat required to change the temperature of a body by a given amount.

Change by what amount? Can you formulate the definition of heat capacity mathematically?

Pranav-Arora said:
I approached the problem the same way as I have done for the polytropic processes. I calculate the work done in those processes through integration in terms of ##\Delta T##, change in temperature. I then write the change in internal energy in terms of ##\Delta T## and plug them in ##Q=W+\Delta U##. Rewriting Q in terms of heat capacity, I obtain the answer. Is it incorrect to use the same approach here?

How do you write Q (the total amount of heat during a process) in terms of heat capacity, when it changes during the process? Q depends on V and you integrate with respect to V.

Have you solved the problem? What is your solution?

ehild

ehild said:
Change by what amount? Can you formulate the definition of heat capacity mathematically?
Sorry ehild, but I am less familiar with the technical terms. :redface:

[tex]C=\frac{\Delta Q}{n\Delta T}[/tex]

How do you write Q (the total amount of heat during a process) in terms of heat capacity, when it changes during the process? Q depends on V and you integrate with respect to V.

Is it wrong to write ##Q=nC\Delta T## where C is the molar heat capacity?

C can depend on other state variables. Here it depends on V, and also on T as T is function of V. The total heat Q taken in a process is not necessarily proportional to ΔT. The heat taken by the system depends also on the process. How do your lecture notes or books define the molar heat capacity? Certainly not as you said that "Heat required to change the temperature of a body by a given amount." If the given amount is 218 K, and you need 1000 J heat to change the temperature by that amount than the heat capacity is 1000 J?

ehild

ehild said:
C can depend on other state variables. Here it depends on V, and also on T as T is function of V. The total heat Q taken in a process is not necessarily proportional to ΔT. The heat taken by the system depends also on the process. How do your lecture notes or books define the molar heat capacity? Certainly not as you said that "Heat required to change the temperature of a body by a given amount." If the given amount is 218 K, and you need 1000 J heat to change the temperature by that amount than the heat capacity is 1000 J?

ehild

Sorry, I just looked up heat capacity in my book. It defines heat capacity as C=Q/ΔT.

I am still not sure how to begin with the problem. :confused:

The same way as you define speed as ds/dt, you can define heat capacity at a given state as small amount of heat divided by small change of temperature C=δQ/dt . The First Law of Thermodynamics says that dU=δQ+δW, that is, δQ=dU-δW. The small amount of heat taken is equal to the sum of the infinitesimal change of internal energy + infinitesimal amount of work.

dU=CvdT, δW=-pdV - write this in terms of V and dT. ehild

ehild said:
δW=-pdV - write this in terms of V and dT.
I can replace P with ##nRT/V=nRT_0e^{\alpha V}/V## and ##dV## with ##dT/(T_0 \alpha e^{\alpha V}##

$$dW=\frac{nRdT}{\alpha V}$$

Very good, plug into the equation δQ=dU-δW and find C=δQ/dt. (Recall that it is an ideal gas, so dU=Cvdt.)

ehild

ehild said:
Very good, plug into the equation δQ=dU-δW and find C=δQ/dt. (Recall that it is an ideal gas, so dU=Cvdt.)

ehild

[tex]CdT=C_VdT+\frac{nRdT}{\alpha V}[/tex]
I can cancel dT but what about n? :confused:

The molar heat capacity is the heat capacity of one mole gas. n=1.

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
The molar heat capacity is the heat capacity of one mole gas. n=1.

Completely missed that, thanks! :smile:

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relationship to energy and work.

2. What is molar heat capacity?

Molar heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree Celsius.

3. Why is it important to find the molar heat capacity of a substance?

Knowing the molar heat capacity of a substance allows us to calculate the amount of heat energy needed to change its temperature, which is crucial in many industrial and scientific processes.

4. How do you find the molar heat capacity of a substance?

The molar heat capacity can be found by measuring the change in temperature of the substance when a known amount of heat energy is added, using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. What are the units of molar heat capacity?

Molar heat capacity is typically measured in joules per mole per degree Celsius (J/mol·°C) or in calories per mole per degree Celsius (cal/mol·°C).