Thermodynamics First Law Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the first law of thermodynamics and its application to a sample of gas enclosed in a cylinder. It also covers isobaric and isothermal processes and their effects on the gas. The summary includes equations and explanations for the meaning of symbols used, as well as calculations for external work done and change in internal energy. The conversation also explores the use of the ideal gas law and specific heat capacity to calculate the change in temperature and heat added during isobaric expansion.
BoanviaFx

Homework Statement

Can someone help me confirm if I answered correctly please?

a) A sample of gas is enclosed in a cylinder by a piston. The cylinder is given 225J of energy which expands and pushes the piston 16cm outwards against an atmospheric pressure of 1.01x105Pa.
i) give the equation for the first law of thermodynamics and clearly state the meaning of each symbol used.
ii) Show that for an enclosed fixed mass of gas, the change in work done, ΔW is equal to PΔV where P is the pressure of the gas and ΔV the change in volume.
iii) Assuming that the piston is friction less and has an area of 90cm2, calculate the external work done by the gas and the increase in internal energy of the gas.

b) An ideal gas of density 0.3kgm-3 at 300K and pressure 1.5x105Pa occupies a volume of 1.25x10-3m3. The gas first expands isobarically to a volume of 1.55x10-3m3 and then it is compressed isothermally to its original volume.
i) What is isobaric expansion to its original volume.
ii) Calculate the energy added during the isobaric expansion.
iii) What is the temperature and pressure after the isothermal compression?
iv) Calculate the difference between the initial and final internal energy if the specific heat capacity of the gas at constant volume is 7x102JkgK-1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
ai) ΔU= ΔQ+ΔW
U is the internal energy of the system, Q is the heat gained or lost by the system and W is the work done by the system or on the system.
ii) W=PΔV
P = F/A = N/m²
V = m3
Si Units cancel out leaving "Nm"
W=F*s
iii) P=F/A
Force acting outwards:
F=PA
F=1.01x105Pa*0.009m²
F=909N

W=Fs
W=909N*0.16m
W=145.44J

bi) Isobaric expansion, is an expansion in an enclosed gas system where the volume increases and the pressure is kept constant.

Isothermal compression involves the internal energy to be constant of an enclosed gas system, therefore we can derive that Q=-W. Heat applied to a system will be converted to work done. This process occurs under constant temperature therefore internal energy will remain constant.

ii) Since the first law of thermodynamics states that:

ΔU= ΔQ+ΔW

Work done: PΔV
W=1.5x105Pa*3x10-4m3
W=45J
Loss in energy due to work done on the surroundings

I'm not sure how to find the change in heat energy, need advice on this one.

iii) Isothermal process takes place with a constant temperature.

So pressure:
p1v1=p2v2
1.5x105Pa*1.55x10-3m3=p2*1.25x10-3m3
p2=186000Pa

During Isobaric expansion temperature wil increase to a point. After Isothermal process takes place the temperature will be the same.

Temperature:
V1/T1=V2/T2
1.25x10-3m3/300K=1.55x10-3m3/T2
T2=372K

v) Again I'm not sure about this one too.

Physics news on Phys.org
BoanviaFx said:

Homework Statement

Can someone help me confirm if I answered correctly please?

a) A sample of gas is enclosed in a cylinder by a piston. The cylinder is given 225J of energy which expands and pushes the piston 16cm outwards against an atmospheric pressure of 1.01x105Pa.
i) give the equation for the first law of thermodynamics and clearly state the meaning of each symbol used.
ii) Show that for an enclosed fixed mass of gas, the change in work done, ΔW is equal to PΔV where P is the pressure of the gas and ΔV the change in volume.
iii) Assuming that the piston is friction less and has an area of 90cm2, calculate the external work done by the gas and the increase in internal energy of the gas.

b) An ideal gas of density 0.3kgm-3 at 300K and pressure 1.5x105Pa occupies a volume of 1.25x10-3m3. The gas first expands isobarically to a volume of 1.55x10-3m3 and then it is compressed isothermally to its original volume.
i) What is isobaric expansion to its original volume.
ii) Calculate the energy added during the isobaric expansion.
iii) What is the temperature and pressure after the isothermal compression?
iv) Calculate the difference between the initial and final internal energy if the specific heat capacity of the gas at constant volume is 7x102JkgK-1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
ai) ΔU= ΔQ+ΔW
U is the internal energy of the system, Q is the heat gained or lost by the system and W is the work done by the system or on the system.
ii) W=PΔV
P = F/A = N/m²
V = m3
Si Units cancel out leaving "Nm"
W=F*s
iii) P=F/A
Force acting outwards:
F=PA
F=1.01x105Pa*0.009m²
F=909N

W=Fs
W=909N*0.16m
W=145.44J
Correct, but use only 3 significant digits in the result.

BoanviaFx said:
bi) Isobaric expansion, is an expansion in an enclosed gas system where the volume increases and the pressure is kept constant.

Isothermal compression involves the internal energy to be constant of an enclosed gas system, therefore we can derive that Q=-W. Heat applied to a system will be converted to work done. This process occurs under constant temperature therefore internal energy will remain constant.

ii) Since the first law of thermodynamics states that:

ΔU= ΔQ+ΔW

Work done: PΔV
W=1.5x105Pa*3x10-4m3
W=45J
Loss in energy due to work done on the surroundings

I'm not sure how to find the change in heat energy, need advice on this one.

Using the Ideal Gas Law you can calculate the change of temperature. To get the heat added, use the specific heat capacity of the gas. How is the internal energy related to temperature, amount of gas, and specific heat capacity at constant volume?

BoanviaFx said:
iii) Isothermal process takes place with a constant temperature.

So pressure:
p1v1=p2v2
1.5x105Pa*1.55x10-3m3=p2*1.25x10-3m3
p2=186000Pa

During Isobaric expansion temperature wil increase to a point. After Isothermal process takes place the temperature will be the same.

Temperature:
V1/T1=V2/T2
1.25x10-3m3/300K=1.55x10-3m3/T2
T2=372K

v) Again I'm not sure about this one too.

Again, you need how is the internal energy related to heat capacity and temperature.

Thanks for your reply! Alright I see what you mean.

Second attempt:

Number of moles in gas using ideal gas equation:
R= 8.314 4621 J mol-1 K-1 (Given in exam paper booklet):

n=(PV/RT)
n=(1.5x105Pa*1.25x10-3m3)/(8.314*300K)
n=0.075

Change in temperature using Charles law would be: 372K

Using: Q=Cv*n*ΔT
Q = 7x102JkgK-1*0.075*72
Q = 3780J

I'm guessing the initial and final internal energy will remain the same since an Isothermal process involves no change change in internal energy.

Also I'm curious if I did something wrong since I did not use the density of the gas anywhere in my calculations.

BoanviaFx said:
Thanks for your reply! Alright I see what you mean.

Second attempt:

Number of moles in gas using ideal gas equation:
R= 8.314 4621 J mol-1 K-1 (Given in exam paper booklet):

n=(PV/RT)
n=(1.5x105Pa*1.25x10-3m3)/(8.314*300K)
n=0.075

Change in temperature using Charles law would be: 372K

Using: Q=Cv*n*ΔT
Q = 7x102JkgK-1*0.075*72
Q = 3780J

You are given the specific heat capacity that refers to 1 kg mass. And you use it as the molar heat capacity, which is wrong.
From the given density and volume, you find the mass of the gas. Q=cv*m*ΔT.

Likes BoanviaFx
Thank you so much! That helps a lot. :)

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

2. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

The First Law of Thermodynamics applies to everyday life in many ways, such as when we use appliances like a refrigerator or a car. These appliances convert energy from one form to another, such as electrical energy to heat energy in a refrigerator or chemical energy to kinetic energy in a car.

3. Can the First Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle of physics and cannot be violated. Energy must be conserved in any physical process.

4. What is an example of the First Law of Thermodynamics in action?

An example of the First Law of Thermodynamics in action is when a hot cup of coffee cools down. The energy from the coffee is transferred to the surrounding air, causing the coffee to cool and the air to warm up.

5. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy is conserved, while the Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system cannot decrease over time. These two laws work together to describe the flow of energy in a system and the tendency towards disorder and randomness.