1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - Ideal gas expansion

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2.1E5 J of heat enters an ideal gas as it expands at a constant T = 77°C to four times its initial volume. How many moles of gas are there?

T=350K, Q=2.1E5 J, Vi=x, Vf=4x

2. Relevant equations
    ΔU=Q-W
    W=[itex]\int[/itex]pdV
    U=nCvT

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure if I'm even on the right track here.
    I have W=[itex]\int[/itex]pdV = nRT[itex]\int[/itex]dv/V = nRTln(Vf-Vi)
    I am stuck here because I need to know n to solve for work but I need to know W to solve for n. I am clearly missing something but I can't figure out what it is.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2014 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are given Q. What is the relationship between Q and W if the process is isothermal?

AM

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3
    Yes thank you I realized yesterday that Q=W for an isothermal process. However I was still stuck after that. I feel like I should just use the ideal gas equation but I can't do that since I don't know pressure.

5. Apr 14, 2014 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Express W in terms of n, T and Vi and Vf (check your equation for W - your integration is not correct). You have values for T, and Vf/Vi. If Q = W, express n in terms of Qm T, Vf/Vi

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted