How long must a 0.38-hp engine run to equal helium's internal energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
Azndoode1
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Helium (He), a monatomic gas, fills a 0.010-m^3 container. The pressure of the gas is 6.2 multiplied by 10^5 Pa. How long would a 0.38-hp engine have to run (1 hp = 746 W) to produce an amount of energy equal to the internal energy of this gas?



Homework Equations




Equations: DU = Q + W , Possibly PV = nRT?, Possibly DU = 3/2 n R T ?

The Attempt at a Solution


No idea how to go about doing this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use PV = nRT and U = 3/2nRTtherefore U=3/2(PV).R.
 
Last edited:
So using that, I get U = 9300J,
P= 290.32 W,
So how do I find the time?
Thanks.
 
Do you know how power and energy are related to each other?

Or, more simply, what is power?
 
Power = work / time
I substituted in, got 23 seconds, and that is not the right answer...
am I doing something wrong?
 
I redid it and I got 32.08. I think I missed a decimal?
Thanks for the help... i'll try that.

EDIT: Yup it worked! Thanks very much :)