Thermodynamics - Internally reversivble process

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of internally and externally reversible processes. The main question is whether the given scenario of water flowing through a pipe with changing temperature and pressure can be considered internally reversible, and the reason behind it. The conversation ends with a final question about the possibility of reversing the temperature and pressure gradient in the pipe.
Bruno Silva
Hi everyone,

just created my account so this is my first post. I'm from Portugal and I'm studying Mechanical Engineering in FEUP.

So my doubt basically is about internally and externally reversible processes.

"Water is on a pipe with constant diameter initially at 50 ºC 7000kPa, and in the end of the pipe at 450ºC 6000kPa. Can this process be considered internally reversible? Why?"

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Bruno Silva said:
Hi everyone,

"Water is on a pipe with constant diameter initially at 50 ºC 7000kPa, and in the end of the pipe at 450ºC 6000kPa. Can this process be considered internally reversible? Why?"
Welcome to PF Bruno!

Could you reverse the temperature and pressure gradient in the pipe by changing the initial conditions by an infinitesimal amount?

AM

Well i don't really know, that was a question in my exam..

1. What is an internally reversible process in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, an internally reversible process is a process that can be reversed without any loss or dissipation of energy. This means that the system and its surroundings can return to their initial states after the process is reversed.

2. How does an internally reversible process differ from an externally reversible process?

An internally reversible process occurs within a closed system, where all the energy and mass remains constant. In contrast, an externally reversible process occurs in an open system, where energy and mass can enter or leave the system.

3. What are some examples of internally reversible processes?

Some examples of internally reversible processes include the expansion and compression of an ideal gas, as well as the melting and freezing of a pure substance. These processes can be reversed without any energy loss.

4. How is the efficiency of an internally reversible process calculated?

The efficiency of an internally reversible process is equal to the ratio of the work output to the heat input. This is known as the Carnot efficiency, and it is the maximum possible efficiency for any heat engine operating between two temperature reservoirs.

5. What is the significance of internally reversible processes in thermodynamics?

Internally reversible processes are important in thermodynamics because they allow for the most efficient use of energy. They also help us understand the limitations of real-world processes and how to improve their efficiency. Additionally, they are used as a benchmark for comparing the performance of real processes.