Thermodynamics Isochoric process .

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a gas in a cylinder being heated to a higher pressure while the volume remains constant. The questions asked include finding the temperature at the end of the process, the heat transferred, change in internal energy, work done, and change in enthalpy. The calculations performed involve using the ideal gas law and specific heat capacities. The final answer is that no heat is transferred and no work is done, making it impossible for a stove to heat up a tea kettle.
manal950
Hi

can please check my answer for this question :

A certain Gas of volume 0.4 m3, pressure of 4.5 bar
and temperature of 1300 C is heated to in a cylinder to 9 bar when the volume remains
constant. Calculate

¨ (i) Temperature at the
end of the process,

¨ (ii) the heat transferred

¨(iii) change in internal energy

¨ (iv) work done

¨(v) change in enthalpy.

¨Assume Cp = 1.005 kJ/kg.K and Cv=
0.71005 kJ/kg.K

my answer

p1v1=mRT

4.5 X 100 X 0.4 = m X 0.28 X 403

m= 1595 kg

now
i) p2v2 = mRT
9 X 100 X 0.4 = 1.1595 X 0.28 X T
T = 806 K

ii ) the heat transferred
no heat transferred because the work = 0

(iii) change in internal energy

Cv(T2 - T1 )
0.71005(806 - 40)
= 54.86

(iv) work done = 0

(v) change in enthalpy.
Cp (T2 - T1 )
1.005(806 - 40)
=769.83

Physics news on Phys.org
manal950 said:
p1v1=mRT

4.5 X 100 X 0.4 = m X 0.28 X 403

m= 1595 kg
I'll stop you here: what are you doing?

According to you, it is impossible for a stove to heat up a tea kettle because no work is done by the stove.

Also the OP says the initial temp. is 1300 C, rather than 130 C.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these factors interact and affect each other in different systems.

2. What is an isochoric process?

An isochoric process, also known as an isovolumetric process, is a thermodynamic process in which the volume of a system remains constant while its temperature and pressure may change. This means that no work is done by or on the system, and any energy transfer occurs only as heat.

3. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant.

4. How is an isochoric process represented on a thermodynamic diagram?

An isochoric process is represented by a vertical line on a thermodynamic diagram, as the volume remains constant while the temperature and pressure change. This line is also known as an isochore.

5. What are some real-life examples of isochoric processes?

Some examples of isochoric processes in everyday life include the heating of a sealed container, the explosion of a balloon, and the heating of a piston in a rigid cylinder. These processes are also commonly seen in refrigeration systems and internal combustion engines.