Thermodynamics -- piston-cylinder device with helium is compressed....

In summary: Clausius Inequality to determine the change in entropy, as well as the heat Q added to the system. He also mentions that the process is reversible since the entropy change is negative and the surroundings are at a constant temperature.
jittapon

Homework Statement

A piston-cylinder device initially contains 0.5 m^3 of helium gas at 150 kPa and 20°C.Helium is now compressed in a poytropic process(Pv^n = constant) to 400 kPa and 140°C. Determine the entropy change of helium and whether this process is reversible, irreversible, or impossible.Assume the surroundings are at 20°C
http://postimg.org/image/s7f507n6z/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think helium in this problem is an ideal gas because T>>Tcritical(5.3 K) so I can use ideal gas rule at state 1 and 2
At state 1 Pv=RT I can find specific volume at state 1 from v1=(2.0769*(273+20))/(150)=4.057 m^3/kg
and At state 2 Pv=RT I can find specific volume at state 2 from v2=(2.0769*(273+140))/(400)=2.144 m^3/kg
next I can find the mass of helium from Pv=mRT then m=Pv/RT=(150*0.5)/(2.0769*(273+20))=0.1232 kg

From Entropy changes of an ideal gas with constant specific heat ΔS=Cv,avg*ln(T2/T1)+Rln(v2/v1)
and from tables Cv,avg of helium=3.1156 kJ/kg⋅K and R=2.0769 kJ/kg⋅K
then ΔS=3.1156*ln((273+140)/(273+20))+2.0769*ln(2.144/4.057)=-0.2551 KJ/Kg⋅K
and entropy changes of Helium is -0.2551*0.1232=-0.0314 KJ/K

Is my solution correct or not? please help me for my thermodynamics homework
thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your arithmetic, but your methodology for finding the change in entropy of the system is correct. But, you are not done yet. This is an exercise in applying the Clausius Inequality. You next need to determine how much heat Q is added to the system.

Chet

Likes jittapon

1. What is a piston-cylinder device with helium?

A piston-cylinder device with helium is a type of thermodynamic system that consists of a piston, which can move freely within a cylinder, and helium gas as the working fluid. The piston-cylinder device is often used to study the thermodynamic properties of gases, such as pressure, volume, and temperature.

2. How does the compression of helium in a piston-cylinder device affect its temperature?

According to the ideal gas law, when a gas is compressed, its temperature increases. This is also known as the adiabatic compression process. In a piston-cylinder device with helium, as the piston compresses the gas, the temperature of the helium will increase.

3. What is the purpose of compressing helium in a piston-cylinder device?

The purpose of compressing helium in a piston-cylinder device is to study the thermodynamic properties of gases under different conditions. By varying the pressure, volume, and temperature of the helium, scientists can better understand the behavior of gases and how they interact with their surroundings.

4. How does the compression ratio affect the efficiency of a piston-cylinder device with helium?

The compression ratio, which is the ratio of the initial volume of helium to the final volume after compression, has a direct impact on the efficiency of a piston-cylinder device with helium. A higher compression ratio will result in a more efficient compression process, as it requires less work to compress the gas.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying thermodynamics using a piston-cylinder device with helium?

The study of thermodynamics using a piston-cylinder device with helium has many real-world applications. It is used in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and air conditioning systems. It is also used in the production of compressed gases, such as oxygen and nitrogen, in industries like healthcare and manufacturing.