Thermodynamics - Two gases in a container

In summary, the problem involves 5 kg of air and 5 kg of carbon monoxide, initially at different temperatures and pressures, confined to opposite sides of a rigid, well-insulated container by a partition. The air and carbon monoxide behave as ideal gases with a constant specific heat ratio of 1.395. The task is to determine the equilibrium temperature, volume and pressure. To solve this, the ideal gas law is used along with the fact that the change in internal energy is zero. By setting up equations for each gas and solving for the equilibrium temperature, it is determined to be 544.8 K. To find the volume and pressure at equilibrium, the initial volume of each gas is needed, which can be found using the
Charlie Anderson

Homework Statement

Two kilograms of air at 5 bar, 350 K, and 5 kg of carbon monoxide, initially at 4 bar, 450 K, are confined to opposite sides of a rigid, well-insulated container by a partition. The partition is free to move and allows conduction from one gas to the other without energy storage in the partition itself. The air and carbon monoxide each behave as ideal gases with constant specific heat ratio, k = 1.395. Determine the equilibrium temperature.

Homework Equations

Q - W = delta U

Cp - Cv = R

Cp/Cv = k

Rair = 8.314 / Mwtair

Rco = 8.314 / Mwtco

Q = mCv(T2-T1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Carbon Monoxide
Cp - Cv = 0.297
Cp / Cv = k

Cv(k) - Cv = 0.297

1.395Cv - Cv = 0.297
0.395Cv = 0.297
Cv = 0.75

Air
Cp - Cv = 0.287
Cp / Cv = k

1.395Cv - Cv = 0.287
Cv = 0.73

This is where i feel i am going wrong.

Q = mCv(T2-T1)
Q = 0 as insulated closed system

Carbon Monoxide Air
0 = 4 x 0.75 (T2 - 450) 0 = 2 x 0.73 (T2 - 350)
0 = 3T2 - 1350 0 = 1.46T2 - 511

I made the two equations equal each other (not sure if that is correct)

1.46T2 - 511 = 3T2 - 1350
839 = 1.54T2
T2 = 544.8 K

I know this is the wrong answer but I am not sure why.

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 5 kg of CO, not 4. Also, since the change in internal energy is zero, $${5}(0.75)(T_2-450)+{2}(0.73)(T_2-350)=0$$

Chestermiller said:
There are 5 kg of CO, not 4. Also, since the change in internal energy is zero, $${5}(0.75)(T_2-450)+{2}(0.73)(T_2-350)=0$$
Ah I see! Thank you for your help.

How would you also work out the volume and pressure at equilibrium ?

Pol said:
How would you also work out the volume and pressure at equilibrium ?
Does the total volume change? What is the initial volume of each gas? Let V1 represent the final volume of air and V2 represent the final volume of CO. In terms of V1 and V2, what is the final pressure of each gas? At equilibrium, how do these pressures compare?

The total volume does change , but I don't know what equation to use to work out the pressure ?

Pol said:
The total volume does change , but I don't know what equation to use to work out the pressure ?
Actually, the total volume doesn't change. The only thing that happens is that the partition moves, so one chamber gets larger and the other gets smaller. To get the final pressure, I need you to answer the other questions that I asked.

Chet

I'm not really sure , I don't know the initial volume of each gas

Pol said:
I'm not really sure , I don't know the initial volume of each gas
Use the ideal gas law. You have the mass (i.e., the number of moles), the temperature, and the pressure of each gas.

R the gas constant is 8.214 which I use aswell?

Pol said:
R the gas constant is 8.214 which I use aswell?
If you use that (and the value is 8.314), you need to convert bars to Pa. You are aware of having to use consistent units, correct?

why did we use cv?, spesific volume of the gases were changing as piston moves.

fatih said:
why did we use cv?, spesific volume of the gases were changing as piston moves.
What is your definition of Cv? What is the effect of specific volume on the internal energy per unit mass of an ideal gas?

amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of mass by 1 kelvin if the substance is at "Constant Volume". But volume isn't constant

fatih said:
amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of mass by 1 kelvin if the substance is at "Constant Volume". But volume isn't constant
In thermodynamics, that's an incorrect definition. In thermodynamics, it is the change in internal energy at constant volume of one kg of material resulting from a change in temperature of 1 kelvin. For an ideal gas, what is the effect of volume on internal energy?

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy.

2. How do two gases behave in a container according to thermodynamics?

According to the ideal gas law, the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are interdependent. In a container with two gases, they will mix and distribute evenly, following the principles of thermodynamics.

3. What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas in thermodynamics?

An ideal gas follows the ideal gas law, while a real gas deviates from it due to intermolecular forces and the size of its molecules. Real gases can be approximated as ideal gases under certain conditions.

4. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to two gases in a container?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the case of two gases in a container, the total energy of the system remains constant, but it can be transferred between the gases through heat or work.

5. Can the second law of thermodynamics be applied to two gases in a container?

Yes, the second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. In the case of two gases in a container, the entropy of the system will tend towards a maximum, meaning the gases will mix and distribute evenly, increasing the overall disorder of the system.