1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - Maxwell Reactions

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    We have been asked the following: "For fixed compositions, show that T = (partial U/partial S)_V = (partial H/partial S)_P". There are 7 other equations after this one, but I think once I know how to solve the first one I will be ok with the rest.

We have not been provided with any relevant equations. My knowledge of partial differential equations is a bit rusty, but I have been doing some reading today to brush up. I initially tried to differentiate H = U + PV and substitute that in, but I ended up with an extra Pdv/S, which with constant P I am not sure how to cancel out. I suspect it has something to do with C_v = T(ds/dt)_v and C_p = T(dt/ds)_p but am not sure how to apply them or how to convert from equations at constant volume to equations at constant pressure.

I have ordered Classical Thermodynamics by Van Ness and Abbott at the recommendation of our professor, but it won't arrive until next week. The homework isn't due in for another 2 weeks, but if anyone could help me get started, I would really appreciate it. Maybe just some basic pointers so that I had an idea of what path to follow.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

For most thermodynamics problems of these sorts, you can start with one of these basic equations and go from there:

dU = T dS - P dV
    dH = T dS + V dP
    dA = -S dT - P dV
    dG = -S dT + V dP

For example, with the first, you can start with the differential for U. Since you want the partial derivative where V is constant, dV = 0. You should be able to take it from there.
  5. Sep 2, 2008 #4

dU = T dS - PdV
    As V is constant, dV = 0. Hence, - PdV = 0
    dU = T dS
    dU/dS = T

dH = T dS - V dP
    As P is constant, dP = 0. Hence, - V dP = 0
    dH = T dS
    dH/dS = T

T = dU/dS @ constant V = dH/dS @ constant P

Also, when you use "d" are you referring to partial differential or ordinary differential? If the former, does it matter that I need to find the partial differential?
  6. Sep 3, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

The four equations have the ordinary differential. However, by fixing P or V, you convert the ordinary differential into a partial differential (since a partial derivative is an ordinary derivative with one or more of the other variables treated as constant).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?