1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics problem - internal energy of a saturated steam?

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    6JBYYAS.png

For those who are not interested in reading through the different values I get for each stage then please answer this question:

What is the internal energy at state 1? When water is a saturated steam... Is it U_vap + U_liq since saturated steam has both liquid and gas phases in it? Or is it just U_vap?

If you are confused it may be worthwhile to see what each state is in the following text I wrote:

Thanks!

In this question there are 3 states. The question also has three parts to it.

First Part:
    Find the initial pressure, temperature and specific volume values at state 1 from the steam tables and appendices. I ended up getting these values (these are correct as I have checked the answer key):
    P1 = 500kPa
    T1 = 425.65K
    v(specific volume)1 = 0.37297

Second Part:
    Find the work done by the steam. I calculated this and got the same answer as the answer key which is:
    W(state 1->3) = 232.3 kJ/kg Note they want the answer in specific energy

Third Part:
    This is where I am stuck. This one asks for the total heat transferred to the steam.

I know that:
    H = ΔU + W

Where ΔU is the change in internal energy from state 1 to state 3. My main problem concerns solving for the internal energy in state 1 using the steam tables. First off state 1 is saturated steam, so from the Thermodynamics tables I get several internal energy values. I get U_vap, U_liq and U_evap. From what I have learned a saturated steam includes water in both liquid and gas phases? Thus U(state 1) = U_vap + U_liq...?

This does not work and the answer suggests that U(state 1) = U_vap only.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2013 #2
    I can not see the image. Can you re-upload it please ? Also absolute internal energy of the system is undefined. (Think why ?)

4. Feb 14, 2013 #3
    Dear beast,

The term "saturated steam" refers only to the vapor.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook