Thermodynamics problem over cycles

In summary, the filament in this problem has a length of 30 cm and a diameter of 1.5mm, with a power of 15 watts and an emissivity of 0.9. The surroundings are at a temperature of 283 K. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann Law, the surface temperature of the filament can be estimated.
Jpcol1990

Homework Statement

The filament is 30 cm long and has a diameter of 1.5mm. The filament is drawing 15 watts and has an emissivitity of 0.9. The surroundings are at 283 k. Estimate the surface temp of the filament in K.

Homework Equations

N = Wcycle/Qin, W cycle = Qhot - Q cold.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to relate the lengths. I think 0.9= Wcycle/15 watts. But not sure what to do after I find Wcycle. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jpcol1990, Welcome to Physics Forums.

I'm not sure what this Wcycle stuff is about, but shouldn't you be looking at the Stefan-Boltzmann Law for problem involving power, temperature, and emissivity?

I figured it out! haha. But thanks for your help, bud.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transferred between different forms and how it affects the behavior of matter.

2. What is a thermodynamic cycle?

A thermodynamic cycle is a sequence of processes that a system undergoes and then returns to its initial state. This allows for the transfer of heat and work in a cyclical manner, allowing for the conversion of energy from one form to another.

3. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant.

4. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time, or remains constant in ideal cases where the system is in a steady state or undergoing a reversible process. This means that in any energy conversion or transfer, some energy will be lost as heat.

5. What is the significance of thermodynamics in everyday life?

Thermodynamics is essential in understanding and improving various processes and technologies in our daily lives, such as refrigeration, engines, and power plants. It also helps us understand natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and the behavior of gases in the atmosphere.