1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - Vapour Power Plants

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A compressor takes in 4 kg/s of air at atmospheric pressure and temperature, 1 bar and 25 degrees C. Air leaves the compressor at 4 bars and 200 degreesC. Calculate the power input to the compressor and its isentropic efficiency. For air Cp=1.005 and Cv=0.718 kJ/kg K

Answers: (703.5 kW, 0.83)

2. Relevant equations

(h2s - h1)/(h2-h1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have already calculated the power input by using mass flow rate x Cp x delta T, however I am unable to find the isentropic efficiency. My attempt so far has been to divide Power input by mass flow rate to obtain h2-h1. The h2-h1 value i have obtained is 175.9kJ. I need help in finding h2s-h1.

I am doing this questions as exam preparation (this has nothing to do with coursework/homework) so maximum help would be very helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2
    Find a table of ideal gas properties for air that list T, h and Pr. Pr is the relative pressure for air when S2-S1=0 (constant entropy). Find h1, h2 and Pr1 from the table, h2s is tricky.

For the special case of air modeled as an ideal gas and S2-S1=0 this relation holds true:

P2/P1=Pr2/Pr1 solve for Pr2. Look up Pr2 in table and note corresponding h2s of about 443 Kj/Kg

From Fundamentals of Engineering Thermo. Moran and Shapiro edition 4, P. 276
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook