Thermometer/ reproducible thermal phenomena

In summary: Other reproducible phenomena that can be used to calibrate thermometers include phase changes that are not pressure sensitive, such as the triple point of water and the gas-liquid critical point. In summary, reproducible thermal phenomena, such as the boiling point and freezing point of water, can be used to calibrate thermometers. However, other phase changes that are not pressure sensitive, such as the triple point of water and the gas-liquid critical point, can also be used for calibration.
Any Help
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown
What are reproducible thermal phenomena that are used to calibrate thermometers?

Physics news on Phys.org
I "smell" homework. What sorts of phenomena do you think would be useful?

Bystander said:
What sorts of phenomena do you think would be useful?
I don't know, they said in the slides that to calibrate a thermometer we should place it in reproducible thermal phenomena.
So what are those reproducible phenomena? do they mean boiling and melting point of water?
if they mean boiling and melting of water, as we know water is pressure sensitive so its not reliable from place to place? so how to calibrate thermometer with that? it won't be precise.

What phase changes are not pressure sensitive? Are you familiar with "the phase rule?"

Bystander said:
What phase changes are not pressure sensitive? Are you familiar with "the phase rule?"
I don't know. I'm lost now. Then they mean by reproducible phenomena phases like steam point and melting point?

Any Help said:
I don't know, they said in the slides that to calibrate a thermometer we should place it in reproducible thermal phenomena.
So what are those reproducible phenomena? do they mean boiling and melting point of water?
if they mean boiling and melting of water, as we know water is pressure sensitive so its not reliable from place to place? so how to calibrate thermometer with that? it won't be precise.
The boiling point and freezing point of water are basic 'fixed points' in defining the Celsius temp scale. You are correct to state that these depend on pressure so the pressure must also be specified

Likes Any Help

1. What is a thermometer?

A thermometer is a scientific instrument used to measure temperature. It typically consists of a glass or plastic tube filled with a liquid, such as mercury or alcohol, that expands or contracts as its temperature changes. This allows the temperature to be read on a scale marked on the tube.

2. How does a thermometer work?

A thermometer works by taking advantage of the principle of thermal expansion, which states that most substances expand when heated and contract when cooled. The liquid inside the thermometer expands or contracts depending on the temperature, causing it to rise or fall on the scale, providing a measurement of the temperature.

3. What are the different types of thermometers?

There are several types of thermometers, including liquid-filled thermometers, digital thermometers, infrared thermometers, and bimetallic strip thermometers. Each type has its own advantages and uses, depending on the specific application and temperature range needed.

4. How do I calibrate a thermometer?

To calibrate a thermometer, you will need to compare its reading to a known temperature, such as the freezing point or boiling point of water. If the thermometer is not reading accurately, you may need to adjust or recalibrate it according to the manufacturer's instructions.

5. Can a thermometer be used to measure other types of thermal phenomena?

Yes, in addition to measuring temperature, thermometers can also be used to measure other thermal phenomena, such as heat flow, thermal conductivity, and specific heat capacity. However, different instruments may be needed for more specialized measurements.