1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermometer/ reproducible thermal phenomena

1. Oct 31, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown
    What are reproducible thermal phenomena that are used to calibrate thermometers?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I "smell" homework. What sorts of phenomena do you think would be useful?

4. Oct 31, 2016 #3
    I don't know, they said in the slides that to calibrate a thermometer we should place it in reproducible thermal phenomena.
    So what are those reproducible phenomena? do they mean boiling and melting point of water?
    if they mean boiling and melting of water, as we know water is pressure sensitive so its not reliable from place to place? so how to calibrate thermometer with that? it won't be precise.

5. Oct 31, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What phase changes are not pressure sensitive? Are you familiar with "the phase rule?"

6. Nov 1, 2016 #5
    I don't know. I'm lost now. Then they mean by reproducible phenomena phases like steam point and melting point????

7. Nov 1, 2016 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

8. Nov 1, 2016 #7
  9. Nov 1, 2016 #8
    The boiling point and freezing point of water are basic 'fixed points' in defining the Celsius temp scale. You are correct to state that these depend on pressure so the pressure must also be specified

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted