Is the definition of a phase arbitrary?

In summary, the Gibbs phase rule states that the number of thermodynamic degrees of freedom (f) in a system is equal to the number of components (r) minus the number of phases (M) plus two. This rule is applicable in systems where there are phase boundaries characterized by a sudden change in physical properties. The definition of a phase is not strictly restricted, but rather depends on the convenience and application of the system. Each phase must include all components, and the selection of properties to check for phase boundaries is application dependent. In the example of a system with H2O(l) and O2(g), the phases can be defined as phase 1: H2O(g) + O2(g), phase 2: O
Sebi123
Gibbs phase rule says f = r-M+2

with f: thermodynamic degrees of freedom; r: number of components; M: number of phases

I wonder whether the defintion of "phase" is restricted or almost arbitrary. For example, consider a system of H2O, O2 and H2 in a closed vessel. Let there be the contstraint that there is a gaseous state which contains all three components (H2O, O2 and H2) and a liquid state which contains only H2O and O2. From my understanding of what a phase is, one would define two phases, a gas g and a liquid l, as follows:

phase 1: H2O(g), O2(g), H2(g)
phase 2: H2O(l), O2(l)

Gibbs rule would give f = 3-2+2=3 degrees of freedom.Couldn't we have also defined the phases as follows:

phase 1: H2O(g), H2(g)
phase 2: O2(g)
phase 3: H2O(l)

Gibbs rule would give f = 3-3+2=2 degrees of freedom.

My motivation for this definition is: O2 might consists of macroscopically tiny gas regions, perhaps invisible in the liquid, but ultimately they are thermodynamic subsystems and a constant pressure and temperature is applied to these regions, no matter if they are in the "gas" or in the "liquid" or if they are tiny (invisible) or large.

There might be other defintions of phases, for example:

phase 1: H2O(g)
phase 2: H2(g)

Gibbs rule would give f = 3-4+2=1 degree of freedom.

Or how about this:

phase 3: O2(l)
phase 4: H2(g)
phase 5: H2O(l)

Gibbs rule would give f = 3-5+2=0 degrees of freedom.

Are all of these definitions of phases valid and can we almost arbitrary assign the term "phase" to a homogeneous subregion of a bigger system, or am I missing a critical point here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sebi123 said:
missing a critical point here?
Yes.
Sebi123 said:
phase 2: H2O(l), O2(l)
Where's the H2?

Bystander said:
Where's the H2?

Oh, you mean each phase must include all components? Because of the derivation of Gibb's rule, which includes chemical potential functions µ(T,p,x1,...,xr-1) (with xi: mole fraction of component i) for each phase?
If this example is not possible, how about a simplified version with H2O as the only component?

phase 2: H2O(l)
Gibbs rule would give f = 1-2+2 = 1 degree of freedom. -> Coexistence curve of H2O(g) and H2O(l) with p = p(T).

But, if I was not interested in water being solid or liquid, it's just water, could I define ONE water phase?
phase 1: H2O
Gibbs rule would give f = 1-1+2 = 2 degrees of freedom. -> All p-T-combinations would give water.

So, what makes a phase a phase? Is it about convenience?

And: What can be said about the initial example? Can this be analyzed by thermodynamics at all?

Last edited:
Sebi123 said:
I wonder whether the defintion of "phase" is restricted or almost arbitrary.

Phase boundaries are characterized by a sudden change of physical properties. Thus you just need to check if there are such boundaries (in space or in a phase diagramm).

Sebi123 said:
each phase must include all components?
Yes.
Sebi123 said:
with H2O as the only component?
Yes.
Sebi123 said:
could I define ONE water phase?
Not in the sense of being a dependent variable. This is pretty much the way it's been handled for you to this point.

DrStupid said:
Phase boundaries are characterized by a sudden change of physical properties. Thus you just need to check if there are such boundaries (in space or in a phase diagramm).
Do I need to check for all conceivable changes? Or is the selection of properties application dependend? In the example above: If I'm not interested in water being either gaseous or liquid, I would say I have only one "water-phase".
Bystander said:
Not in the sense of being a dependent variable.
I think Gibbs phase rule is applicable here, because µ(T,p) ist equal everywhere?
When f = 2 in Gibbs phase rule I would say it tells me that whatever the values of p and T are, I get water, no matter which properties it has.

Sebi123 said:
Do I need to check for all conceivable changes?

Yes.

Sebi123 said:
If I'm not interested in water being either gaseous or liquid, I would say I have only one "water-phase".

Gases and liquids usually have very different properties (e.g. density or viscosity) - no matter if you are interested in them or not.
But the scale may depend on the application: liquid and gas can be two different phases on small scales but a single pase (foam or fog) on larg scales.

Thanks so far.
For the simple example it's now becoming clearer.

But to be sure to really understand it: For the system with H2O(l) in which O2(g)-bubbles are dissolved in contact with H2O(g) where also O2(g) exists:
Are the phases

or

phase 1: H2O(g) + O2(g)
phase 2: H2O(l)+ O2(g)
?

Sebi123 said:
But to be sure to really understand it: For the system with H2O(l) in which O2(g)-bubbles are dissolved in contact with H2O(g) where also O2(g) exists:
Are the phases

Do you think that there is a phase boundary between H2O(g) and O2(g)?

Sebi123 said:
phase 2: H2O(l)+ O2(g)

This makes sense on sufficiently large scales, where the dispersion of O2-bubbles in water can be assumed to be homogeneous. Otherwhise the liquid phase would be just water (with dissolved oxygen).

DrStupid said:
Do you think that there is a phase boundary between H2O(g) and O2(g)?
Okay, I see my error in reasoning here, thanks.

DrStupid said:
This makes sense on sufficiently large scales, where the dispersion of O2-bubbles in water can be assumed to be homogeneous. Otherwhise the liquid phase would be just water (with dissolved oxygen).

So, on small scales one has
?
And this situation is not describable by Gibbs rule, because not each component is contained in each phase (no H2O in phase 2 and no O2 in phase 3)?

Sebi123 said:
So, on small scales one has
?
And this situation is not describable by Gibbs rule, because not each component is contained in each phase (no H2O in phase 2 and no O2 in phase 3)?

Gibbs rule applies to an equilibrium only and in equilibrium there would be no pure water or oxygen phases.

DrStupid said:
Gibbs rule applies to an equilibrium only and in equilibrium there would be no pure water or oxygen phases.

The water-example might be nonsense. But there are equilibriums with completely different chemical compositions of the phases. For example, a platinum bar immersed in a copper solution. Does Gibbs phase rule (or classical thermodynamics at all) makes a statement about such situations?

Sebi123 said:
But there are equilibriums with completely different chemical compositions of the phases. For example, a platinum bar immersed in a copper solution. Does Gibbs phase rule (or classical thermodynamics at all) makes a statement about such situations?

I don't see why Gibbs rule shouldn't hold for this cases.

DrStupid said:
I don't see why Gibbs rule shouldn't hold for this cases.
.. because in the derivation of Gibbs rule I know the chemical potential of each component is set equal. µPt(in Pt bar) = µPt(in copper solution) (and the same of the copper solution). But there is not Pt in the copper solution, so this kind of derivation does not make sense, I guess.

Sebi123 said:
µPt(in Pt bar) = µPt(in copper solution) (and the same of the copper solution). But there is not Pt in the copper solution, so this kind of derivation does not make sense, I guess.

That's just an artefact resulting from your assumption that the phases are pure in equilibrium. To solve this problem you just need to change the concentrations of Pt in Cu and vice versa from zero to almost zero (infinite dilution).

Ah, okay: Regarding a Pt-Cu-system: With specifying the concentrations in both phases as beeing pure phases I have already "used up" both of two degrees of freedom (f = 2-2+2=2 here) and T and p would need to take on very specific values to make the system consisting of two pure phases (if such a state exists at all).
And bei choosing T and p, e.g., I would generally get two nonpure phases. If this is the case, I've finally understood it. Thanks a lot!

1. What is the definition of a phase?

The definition of a phase in science refers to a distinct form or state of matter that is uniform in its properties and composition. This can refer to solid, liquid, gas, plasma, or other states of matter.

2. Is the definition of a phase the same for all substances?

No, the definition of a phase can vary depending on the substance. For example, the phases of water (solid, liquid, gas) are different from the phases of carbon (solid, liquid, gas, plasma).

3. Is the definition of a phase arbitrary?

Yes, the definition of a phase is somewhat arbitrary as it is based on how we categorize and describe the properties of matter. However, there are certain criteria and characteristics that must be met in order for a substance to be considered a distinct phase.

4. Can the definition of a phase change?

Yes, the definition of a phase can change as our understanding and technology advances. For example, the discovery of new states of matter, such as Bose-Einstein condensates, has expanded our understanding of phases and how they can be defined.

5. How does the definition of a phase relate to phase transitions?

The definition of a phase is closely related to phase transitions, which refer to the changes that occur when a substance moves from one phase to another. Phase transitions can help us identify and define different phases of matter.