Thickness of a cylinder in a compound thin cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
39 replies · 5K views
haruspex said:
That will be the reduction in circumference, yes. But as I wrote, it will be more helpful to consider the fractional change.
You are given a certain coefficient E of the material. If there is a certain fractional change in the length of the circumference, what does that tell you about the circumferential compression force?

It tells me that the circumferential compression force is increased thus reducing that circumference. I don't quite understand what you mean by a fractional change?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Fractional change = ( new value - original value ) / ( original value )

I think that @haruspex is trying to steer you towards thinking about the idea of strain . Look it up .
 
DevonZA said:
circumferential compression force is increased thus reducing that circumference.
Right, but what is the algebraic relationship? You are given a value for "E". Do you understand that this is the Young's modulus for the material? Do you know how this relates stress to strain?
Nidum said:
Fractional change = ( new value - original value ) / ( original value )
Thanks Nidum.
 
haruspex said:
Right, but what is the algebraic relationship? You are given a value for "E". Do you understand that this is the Young's modulus for the material? Do you know how this relates stress to strain?

Thanks Nidum.

E=σ/ε
 
DevonZA said:
E=σ/ε
Ok, so express the strain, ε, in terms of ri and R.
Then get an expression for the circumferential stress, σ.
 
haruspex said:
Ok, so express the strain, ε, in terms of ri and R.
Then get an expression for the circumferential stress, σ.

Hi Haruspex

sorry for my delayed response.
Please see the answer provided by my lecturer below:

upload_2017-5-4_10-31-51.png

upload_2017-5-4_10-32-13.png

upload_2017-5-4_10-32-28.png
 
haruspex said:
Looks like the same approach I was trying to lead you through, just done in a different order.

As long as the answer is correct :)
Thank you for your help.
 
If I am too late, sorry. Just working on this question myself now.

σc=(Pd)/(2t)
the circumferential strain ε=σ/E = (Pd)/(2tE) but εc= (πΔd)/d
diametral strain εd=Δd/d
∴εc=εd the change in diameter = (Pd^2)/(2tE)
The sum of changes in the diameters of the two cylinders is equal to the interference between the diameters before shrinkage.
∴(Pd^2/2tE)inner + (Pd^2/2tE)outer = 4.305x10-3
∴((200x103)(0.0952))/((2(0.0025)(200x109))+((200x103)(0.12))/((2(t)(200x109))=4.305x10-6
1.805x10-6+(5x10-9)/t=2.5x10-6
to=0.002m = 2mm

b) Not sure about this part...
Now consider the inner cylinder:
inner pressure of 180 kPa and radial pressure of 200 kPa from outside
σc=pd/2t = ((180000-200000)(0.095))/(2x0.0025)
= -0.38 MPa

consider outer cylinder:
180 kPa+200kPa
σc=pd/2t = ((180000+200000)(0.1))/(2x0.002)
= 9.5 MPaThe first part I could confirm with answer in my textbook, but the second part I had to trust is correct..
 
Ah, I missed the second page of comments with all the answers on...
Well, confirmed my own answers, so thanks!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DevonZA