Learning Thermodynamics: Module Self-Assessment Quiz

• Thread starter PhysicsNovice
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for pointing it out. In summary, The conversation discusses the topic of conduction, convection, radiation, and the stoppage of molecular motion. The person has completed an online module and is preparing for a self-assessment quiz. They ask for feedback on their answers, which are marked with an asterisk, and mention that they will provide commentary when asked. The conversation also includes a series of questions related to these topics, with the correct answers being discussed. In summary, the conversation covers various aspects of thermal energy and its transportation, and the person asks for guidance on certain questions related to this topic.
PhysicsNovice
Hello again Everyone. I am on to conduction, convection, radiation and the stoppage of all molecular motion. Very complicated information for me. I have completed my next on-line module and about to take my self-assessment quiz. Please review my answers (marked with an asterisk) and let me know what you think. Remember, I will provide commentary when asked so let me know which ones are correct. For those that are wrong you can provide some guidance. Not necessarily the correct answer. Thanks and Holidays to everyone.

1. How many calories are required to heat 600 g of water from 23° C to 33° C?
a. 60
b. 600
c. 6000*
d. 13800

2. What effect would there be on Joule's experiment if the mass fell rapidly, hit the floor with substantial speed, and this was ignored?
a. Nothing. The loss in gravitational potential energy would still be the same.
b. Nothing. The kinetic energy is converted to heat when the mass hits the floor.*
c. The number of joules equivalent to 1 calorie would be larger.
d. The number of joules equivalent to 1 calorie would be smaller.

3. A typical jogger burns up food energy at the rate of about 40 kJ per minute. How long would it take to run off a piece of cake if it contains 400 Calories (about 1,700 kJ)?
a. 1 min.
b. 4.25 min.*
c. 10 min.
d. 42.5 min.

4. Which of the following statements does NOT correctly describe what happens when a hot block is placed in contact with a cool block?
a. Heat flows from the hot block to the cool block.
b. The average kinetic energy of the particles decreases in the hot block and increases in the cool block.
c. The temperature of the hot block decreases and that of the cool block increases.
d. Temperature flows from the hot block to the cool block.*

5. The first law of thermodynamics is a re-statement of the law of conservation of:
a. Angular momentum
b. Linerar momentum
c. Mechanical energy
d. Energy*

6. The third law of thermodynamics:
a. Is a restatement of the law of conservation of energy*
b. Says that heat cannot be completely converted to mechanical energy
c. Says that we can never reach the absolute zero temperature.
d. Says that all motion ceases at absolute zero.

7. The boiling point of liquid nitrogen at atmospheric pressure is 77 K. Which of the following temperatures is the closest to the temperature of an open container of liquid nitrogen?
a. 76 K
b. 77 K*
c. 78 K
d. 293 K

8. Which of the following is NOT a method of transporting thermal energy from one place to another?
a. Radiation
b. Condensation*
c. Conduction
d. Convection

9. In conduction, thermal energy is transported by:
a. The movement of a fluid.
b. The collision of particles.*
c. Electromagnetic fields.
d. The propagation of sound waves.

10. In radiation, thermal energy is transported by:
a. The movement of a fluid
b. the collision of particles.
c. Electromagnetic fields.*
d. The propagation of sound waves.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like you should review questions 2, 3 and 6.

AM

Thanks AM. No hints but I will try again. I re-read the module and then looked at the questions again.

(2) I am totally confused and not even sure exactly what they are looking for.
(3) Boy am I calorically as well as mathematically challenged. At a rate of 40 kJ per minute then 1,700 kJ would be burnt of in 1700 divided by 40 or (d.) 42.5 minutes - It would be one hell of a jogger to burn 400 calories in 4+ minutes.
(6) (b) Says that heat cannot be completely converted to mechanical energy

Check no. 4!

PhysicsNovice said:
Thanks AM. No hints but I will try again. I re-read the module and then looked at the questions again.

(2) I am totally confused and not even sure exactly what they are looking for.
Joule used a dropping weight to turn a paddle wheel in a volume of water and measured the temperature as a function of loss of gravitational potential of the mass. If some of that gravitational potential energy was converted into kinetic energy of the dropping mass (i.e. was not used to turn the paddle wheel) and this was ignored, the comparison of the drop in height to the temperature of the water would result in a lower ratio of [itex]\Delta T/\Delta E[/itex]. So what is the answer?
(3) Boy am I calorically as well as mathematically challenged. At a rate of 40 kJ per minute then 1,700 kJ would be burnt of in 1700 divided by 40 or (d.) 42.5 minutes - It would be one hell of a jogger to burn 400 calories in 4+ minutes.
Right.
(6) (b) Says that heat cannot be completely converted to mechanical energy
I don't think so. Reread the third law. It has to do with reaching absolute zero. 6d) is close but, in fact, an element at absolute zero has positive energy. 6c) appears to be the correct answer.

AM

pack_rat2 said:
Check no. 4!
are u sure?...question says does NOT

Oooooops! I overlooked that "NOT"...:)

FAQ: Learning Thermodynamics: Module Self-Assessment Quiz

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work.

2. Why is thermodynamics important?

Thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand how energy is converted from one form to another and how it affects the behavior of matter. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern energy and its transformations. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted; the second law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time; and the third law, which states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero is zero.

4. How can I apply thermodynamics in my daily life?

Thermodynamics can be applied in many ways in daily life, such as understanding how a refrigerator or air conditioner works, calculating the efficiency of a car engine, or determining the energy requirements for cooking food. It can also help in making more sustainable and energy-efficient choices.

5. How can I improve my understanding of thermodynamics?

To improve your understanding of thermodynamics, it is important to first have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics. You can also read textbooks, attend lectures or workshops, and solve practice problems to deepen your knowledge. Hands-on experiments and simulations can also help in visualizing and understanding thermodynamic concepts.