Things to do at Work When Bored

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, an expert summarizer of content would say that they like to surf the internet and eat popcorn, but that work can be boring. They brainstorm ways to promote synergy between departments, and find relief from boredom by playing Nazi Zombies or Dead Space on their iPhone.
Drakkith
Mentor
I like to surf PF...and eat popcorn. Oh the joys of a desk job!

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
I like to surf PF...and eat popcorn. Oh the joys of a desk job!

I like to ponder the question, "Why are we losing our competitive edge in the global market?".

:biggrin:

I'm not allowed to surf the internet while working. It's OK if I eat popcorn, though. :smile:

When I was working, I found that being bored wasn't too productive or fun. I never actually got bored because I found useful stuff to occupy me long before I could get bored.

I brainstorm ways to promote synergy between our departments. Duh.

Things to do at work when bored, eh?

Work. You know... What you're being paid to do?
Edit: Just remembered the job I'll be working this summer.

If I'm working at a job that legitimately has downtime (e.g. tech support in a call centre), all my notes are up to date, and my supervisor is telling me to stop asking them for something to do... I'll alternate between reading a novel and strengthening my resolve to get a better job next summer.

Last edited:
KingNothing said:
I brainstorm ways to promote synergy between our departments. Duh.

Yes...just like I'm "learning how to communicate effectively for my job".

Cue standard Engineers vs Designers joke:

Why don't designers look out of the office windows in the morning?
They get bored if they have nothing to do in the afternoon.

My dad once had a 6 month paid vacation as long as he sat at his desk every day, and he spent it learning visual basic and writing a moonlander game. Incidentally this was also the year he got severance bonuses from approximately a thousand different companies and ended up making over double his normal salary.

Aahh, the efficiency of the free market

Play Nazi Zombies/Dead Space on my iPhone. The iPhone 4 has revolutionized work boredom.

What are some activities I can do at work when I'm feeling bored?

1. Take a short walk outside – getting some fresh air and movement can help clear your mind and increase productivity.

2. Organize your workspace – a clutter-free environment can help improve focus and motivation.

3. Learn a new skill – use your free time at work to learn something new that can benefit your career or personal life.

4. Connect with coworkers – strike up a conversation or plan a team outing to break up the monotony of the workday.

5. Set and achieve small goals – identify a task or project that you can complete in a short amount of time to give yourself a sense of accomplishment.