The Cost of War: Examining the Economic Impact of Modern Conflicts

• News
  • Thread starter Desiree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the conversation discusses the cost of war in relation to the US economy and national debt. The first link provided is broken and the second link makes the participants sad. The cost of war in the past 10 years is deemed insignificant compared to the size of the US economy, but some argue that the money could have been better spent on programs like social security, health, and medicare. Others argue that the military spending stimulates the economy and creates jobs. The conversation also touches on the impact of this spending on future generations and the potential for better use of the money. Lastly, there is a discussion on the effectiveness and necessity of the war itself and the potential benefits of investing in other areas such as infrastructure and industry.
Desiree
What do these numbers tell you?

http://costofwar.com/
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np

Physics news on Phys.org
The second link is broken. The first link makes me sad.

lisab said:
The second link is broken. The first link makes me sad.

Thanks, fixed it.

Desiree said:
Thanks, fixed it.

OK now both links make me sad.

I wish we'd get back to a pay-go system.

These arbitrary numbers really should make us all think.

1 trillion cost of war in 10 years is insignificant compared to the size of US economy. All it did is stimulated the military-industrial complex which keeps the US on cutting edge.

The biggest drains every year are social security, health, and medicare...

waht said:
1 trillion cost of war in 10 years is insignificant compared to the size of US economy. All it did is stimulated the military-industrial complex which keeps the US on cutting edge.

I don't think you realize the devastating impact of such spendings and debts on your children's future and what better things could have been done with 1 trillion dollars.

Desiree said:
I don't think you realize the devastating impact of such spendings and debts on your children's future and what better things could have been done with 1 trillion dollars.

http://www.cosmoloan.com/money-mana...y-with-a-trillion-dollars.html#comment-65009"

With a trillion dollars you could buy out America’s supply of bacon for the next 500 years.

With a trillion dollars you could own and operate your own space program with an annual budget of $20 billion for the next 50 years. That’s $2 billion more than NASA spends each year.

And my favorite: You could supply every household in the US with 2240 watts of solar panels. Yielding roughly 9 kwh per day, saving each of us only about $1 per day, but multiplied by 112,000,000 households and 365.242198781 days per year, we'd collectively save $40 billion dollars a year and our trillion dollars would be paid back in 25 years. Not counting installation, taxes, delivery, and inspection fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
waht said:

Really, that's ALL it did. Tell that to my nephew who had to clean up the body parts from a family that was killed by mistake. Oh yes, never mind, he's probably too drunk to listen.

Tell's me you lack critical thinking skills, because all you've posted are numbers.

What does this number mean to you?2389348967o659560845903445985690569560490823948234908486849680980250892505409468905

<whistles> wheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww that's a big number!

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Really, that's ALL it did. Tell that to my nephew who had to clean up the body parts from a family that was killed by mistake. Oh yes, never mind, he's probably too drunk to listen.

This thread is about the cost of war in relation US debt - ALL is in terms of economy, and not casualties, nor Cheney.

waht said:

The biggest drains every year are social security, health, and medicare...

This is EXACTLY correct.

Desiree said:
That military spending doesn't go into a black hole, though: it is mostly spent on the salaries of our military and the compaanies who make the equipment.

It is basically the same type of economic stimulus that our government spent an equal amount of money on in the past year. So while it isn't great that we spent a trillion dollars on the wars over 9 years, it is a lot worse that we spent a trillion dollars on stimulus in the past year.

We don't have to attack a country in order to have a strong military. The point that B justifies A is falacious. How much bang did we get for the buck? Did we get a trillion dollars worth of development? Or was most of that money wasted fighting a war that wasn't needed? I would bet any payoff is on the order of one part in a thousand, or less.

Now if your point is that we have $100 billion a year to waste, then I have a great deal on some swamp land for you.

Btw, the interest on our national debt is about 160 billion per year. If we didn't have to pay interest, there wouldn't be a problem, so clearly 100 billion per year is significant. 100 billion less per year is the equivalent of eliminating over 60% of our national debt.

How about paying for three years of medicaid?

What if all of that money has been dumped into the US economy for productive reasons, rather than for building bombs, and fueling tanks and aircraft? How much more benefit do we derive per dollar spent, from a bridge, than we do a truckload of bombs?

I fail to follow the logic that it was advantageous to fight an unnecessary war, when we could have been helping Americans, or investing in the US infrastructure or industry. Even viewing this from a purely militaristic point of view, I would bet that one could develop a pretty cool weapon for a trillion dollars.

btw, I never opposed the war in Afghanistan, just Iraq. In the former case, I don't think we had a choice. I also strongly support the attacks in the hills of Pakistan, using drones. As promised, Obama is no wimp. He's just smart.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
How much bang did we get for the buck? Did we get a trillion dollars worth of development?

In a sense yes. Most companies that made money in the war reinvest it in themselves (minus CEO bonuses) and compete with other companies for contracts. And where there is competition there is innovation.
Btw, the interest on our national debt is about 160 billion per year. If we didn't have to pay interest, there wouldn't be a problem, so clearly 100 billion per year is significant. 100 billion less per year is the equivalent of eliminating over 60% of our national debt.

The US has lots of other internal black holes, and only feeding them more won't solve the problem.

What if all of that money has been dumped into the US economy for productive reasons, rather than for building bombs, and fueling tanks and aircraft?

And building bombs, and aircrafts? Well that's what superpowers do. Among many other things it gives them a high position when dealing with national interests that, in a sense, feedback to the economy.

Cyrus said:
Tell's me you lack critical thinking skills, because all you've posted are numbers.

First of all, I didn't start an argument based on those numbers, and second of all, as the title reads: "think for a moment..."

So what makes you think I lack critical thinking skills?

Desiree said:
First of all, I didn't start an argument based on those numbers, and second of all, as the title reads: "think for a moment..."

Because you did not think before posting these sources - what so ever!

What's you're premise in starting this thread? This reeks of anti-war nonsense. Should I run around with my hands in the air at the sight of big scary numbers, that lack any context?

To answer your question: the numbers tell me exactly what they report, and nothing more.

Ivan Seeking said:
We don't have to attack a country in order to have a strong military.
Granted! But this has nothing to do with the OP, which, as was pointed out to you before, is about money.
How much bang did we get for the buck? Did we get a trillion dollars worth of development? Or was most of that money wasted fighting a war that wasn't needed? I would bet any payoff is on the order of one part in a thousand, or less.
Then that'd be a losing bet. Where do you think the money actually goes that the payoff could be 1:1000? Heck, if we have 100,000 troops employed at an average salary of $30,000 apiece, that would be $27 billion right there, or just under 3%.

It was pretty easy to debunk that 1:1000 rediculousness with just one simple example of where the money goes.
What if all of that money has been dumped into the US economy for productive reasons, rather than for building bombs, and fueling tanks and aircraft? How much more benefit do we derive per dollar spent, from a bridge, than we do a truckload of bombs?
Your point, so you tell me. I'll give it a shot, though: if the societal benefit to building a bridge was huge on its own, we wouldn't need to use stimulus spending to build it. The stimulus spending was sold by Obama as a way to create jobs, not for the societal benefit of what those jobs were doing. In that sense, money spent building a bomb is exactly equivalent to money spent building a bridge.
I fail to follow the logic that it was advantageous to fight an unnecessary war...
...probably because no one made such an argument! :rolleyes:
Even viewing this from a purely militaristic point of view, I would bet that one could develop a pretty cool weapon for a trillion dollars.
Indeed we could. But for the fifth or sixth time now, the OP was about money! Developing a weapon is still expensive and it is still money that we are spending that we don't have. We shouldn't be spending it: not on developing new weapons, not on wars, and not on "economic stimulus", all of which are functionally equivalent.

Desiree said:

Starting a thread with an open-ended question leaves us to guess what your point was. Failing to ever provide analysis makes one question your critical thinking skills.

Thread Locked; mentors out of control.

Oh, nevermind, I can't lock a thread. Carry on.

Preemptive Thread reopened

It's good to be king.

Cyrus said:
Preemptive Thread reopened

It's good to be king.

Haha, Cyrus. Take this: Thread Locked

Darned locking mechanism. Must be jammed...

Phrak said:
Haha, Cyrus. Take this: Thread Locked

Darned locking mechanism. Must be jammed...

Pull back on the charging handle on the upper receiver.

hmmm... Let's give Desiree a short lesson in U.S. economics.

A. Whenever you see a really big number, chop off the last 9 digits. A $trillion$ becomes $1000. Yay!
B. Then multiply by 3. A thousand becomes $3000. boo...
C. Divide that number by the days since that debt was incurred: $3000/3000 days = $1/day. yay!

steps A and B give you the cost per US citizen.

step C tells me that the cost of the two wars was only a dollar per day per person.

Now as Lisab stated, it would be really nice if we could pay as we go. Then it probably wouldn't hurt so much, and we all wouldn't have to get depressed about looking at such big scary numbers.

But we really only have ourselves to blame. Who do we always vote for? The guy that's going to raise our taxes $365 a year to pay for two wars? Or the guy that starts two wars and simultaneously cuts taxes?

Now that's something to think about.

Ivan Seeking said:
We don't have to attack a country in order to have a strong military. The point that B justifies A is falacious. How much bang did we get for the buck? Did we get a trillion dollars worth of development? Or was most of that money wasted fighting a war that wasn't needed? I would bet any payoff is on the order of one part in a thousand, or less.

I believe the new US national defence strategy should be that whenever the US is attacked we shoud file for sanctions in the UN and dedicate the majority of our defence budget to building bridges and investing in solar panels.

Pattonias said:
I believe the new US national defence strategy should be that whenever the US is attacked we shoud file for sanctions in the UN and dedicate the majority of our defence budget to building bridges and investing in solar panels.

Nonsense.

Cyrus said:
Nonsense.

I agree.

Pattonias said:

I would raise the federal gasoline tax every time we go to war for oil, to pay for such wars.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_cons_prim_dcu_nus_a.htm" , yields roughly a $800 million dollars, which over the course of 3000 days gives: 2.4 trillion dollars.

Ouch! We would've had to raise gas taxes to 42% to pay for the wars.

So the current $2.80/gal would be at $4. Roughly the peak here in the states in July of 2008. I remember that. Dreadfully expensive. But then again, the number of people driving to Walmart for a bag of Doritos did seem to drop off quite a bit.

Pattonias said:
I agree.

Hey, how dare you agree with me! This is supposed to devolve into an epic sh*tfest.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Desiree said:
What do these numbers tell you?

http://costofwar.com/
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np

It tells me that the US will not attack Iran.

Count Iblis said:
It tells me that the US will not attack Iran.
Maybe so. Then instead of the US, Israel will attack Iran's nuclear sites first, likely leading to Iranian indiscriminate responses against Israel, likely leading to a rapidly widening Middle East conflict.

Cyrus said:

What does this number mean to you?

2389348967o659560845903445985690569560490823948234908486849680980250892505409468905

<whistles> wheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww that's a big number!

Are you Glen Beck? Seriously

jreelawg said:
Are you Glen Beck? Seriously

:rofl: Cries, and screams in a hissy fit. GETOFFMYTHREAD!

mheslep said:
Maybe so. Then instead of the US, Israel will attack Iran's nuclear sites first, likely leading to Iranian indiscriminate responses against Israel, likely leading to a rapidly widening Middle East conflict.

I've read that Iran's best strategy would be not to attack Israel but instead attack the Saudi oil installations and the gas installations in Qatar.