Thinking about buying a Tektronix 2465B....Need advice

• Thread starter Planobilly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, the analog vs. digital scopes can be differentiated in terms of their price range and their capability. The analog scopes are more expensive, but can be used for more complex tasks than the digital scopes.
Planobilly
Hi,
I have been considering buying a good quality analog scope. Budget under $1000.

I was considering a Tektronix 2465B 400MHz 4 channel. Looks like I could get one in the $400 to $500 range.

Use would be general audio repair and some new design work testing on guitar amps. Basic analog stuff.

Better Ideas??

Cheers,

Billy

Likes davenn
Engineering news on Phys.org
Planobilly said:
Hi,
I have been considering buying a good quality analog scope. Budget under $1000.

I was considering a Tektronix 2465B 400MHz 4 channel. Looks like I could get one in the $400 to $500 range.

Use would be general audio repair and some new design work testing on guitar amps. Basic analog stuff.

Better Ideas??

Cheers,

Billy
ideal ... with a 400MHz timebase, it's an overkill for audio stuff :wink:
one of those units should give you lots of new fun to learn

I'm using its older sibling, the Tek 465B ... dates back to the 70's ... is a 100 MHz scope with 2 channel
cheers
Dave

What is the price difference between the basic analog and digital 'scopes? I tried using a simple analog 'scope in one of our labs a couple days ago for a fairly simple task to help out a Manufacturing Engineer, and was very frustrated right away at the lack of memory and storage.

Hi guys,

Dave, for sure overkill at 400MHz for audio. There does not seem to be much difference in price from 100MHz to 400MHz. I wanted a 4 channel scope and the newer ones tend to be > 200MHz. The 2465B sold for big bucks new.

Berkman, there are several pretty good new digital 100 MHz 4 channel scopes starting around $400. Rigol seems to be the brand many like in cheap digital scopes.

I have a 2 channel Owon 7102 100MHz digital. It is OK for the most part.

Keeping the Tektronix running will be an issue. I am looking for one with a S/N of <50000 which is a little less complex to repair.

Everyone should have a analog scope just to impress the kids...lol All the digital scope just look like really slow computers...lol

This whole electronics hobby is a damn addiction...even worse if you play guitar...lol

Cheers,

Billy

Likes davenn
Well Dave...take a look at this.

There must be a sort of Hell that you get sent to for becoming addicted to electronics to pay for your sins! I sort of assumed that it would be located in the back of a beauty parlor with no air condition...lol

Billy

Likes davenn

1. What are the key features of the Tektronix 2465B oscilloscope?

The Tektronix 2465B is a high-performance oscilloscope that offers a bandwidth of 400 MHz, a maximum sample rate of 1 GS/s, and a vertical sensitivity of 2 mV/div. It also has a built-in digital storage feature, automatic measurements, and a 9-inch CRT display.

2. Is the Tektronix 2465B suitable for my specific application?

The Tektronix 2465B is a versatile oscilloscope that can be used in a wide range of applications including research and development, engineering, and manufacturing. It is particularly well-suited for high-frequency signal analysis and troubleshooting complex electronic systems.

3. What is the cost of the Tektronix 2465B?

The cost of the Tektronix 2465B can vary depending on the seller and the condition of the device. However, on average, it can range from $500 to $1000. It is important to do thorough research and compare prices from different sellers before making a purchase.

4. Can I upgrade the Tektronix 2465B in the future?

Yes, the Tektronix 2465B has upgrade options available such as adding a digital storage module or increasing the bandwidth. However, these upgrades may come at an additional cost and may require professional installation.

5. What kind of warranty does the Tektronix 2465B come with?

The warranty for the Tektronix 2465B can vary depending on the seller. Some may offer a limited warranty, while others may not offer any warranty at all. It is important to carefully read the terms and conditions of the warranty before making a purchase.