Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking about buying a Tektronix 2465B...Need advice

1. Jul 18, 2016 #1
    Hi,
    I have been considering buying a good quality analog scope. Budget under $1000.

I was considering a Tektronix 2465B 400MHz 4 channel. Looks like I could get one in the $400 to $500 range.

Use would be general audio repair and some new design work testing on guitar amps. Basic analog stuff.

Better Ideas??

Cheers,

Billy

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ideal ... with a 400MHz timebase, it's an overkill for audio stuff :wink:
    one of those units should give you lots of new fun to learn

I'm using its older sibling, the Tek 465B ... dates back to the 70's ... is a 100 MHz scope with 2 channel

cheers
    Dave

4. Jul 18, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the price difference between the basic analog and digital 'scopes? I tried using a simple analog 'scope in one of our labs a couple days ago for a fairly simple task to help out a Manufacturing Engineer, and was very frustrated right away at the lack of memory and storage.

5. Jul 18, 2016 #4
    Hi guys,

Dave, for sure overkill at 400MHz for audio. There does not seem to be much difference in price from 100MHz to 400MHz. I wanted a 4 channel scope and the newer ones tend to be > 200MHz. The 2465B sold for big bucks new.

Berkman, there are several pretty good new digital 100 MHz 4 channel scopes starting around $400. Rigol seems to be the brand many like in cheap digital scopes.

I have a 2 channel Owon 7102 100MHz digital. It is OK for the most part.

Keeping the Tektronix running will be an issue. I am looking for one with a S/N of <50000 which is a little less complex to repair.

Everyone should have a analog scope just to impress the kids...lol All the digital scope just look like really slow computers...lol

This whole electronics hobby is a damn addiction.....even worse if you play guitar...lol

Cheers,

Billy

6. Jul 18, 2016 #5
    Well Dave...take a look at this.

There must be a sort of Hell that you get sent to for becoming addicted to electronics to pay for your sins!! I sort of assumed that it would be located in the back of a beauty parlor with no air condition...lol

Billy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted