MSc Computational Physics: career options & salary?

In summary, the speaker has a BSc in Physics from a different university and will be starting an MSc in Computational Physics next semester. They have a strong background in computer science and are interested in various technical fields outside of physics, including machine learning, robotics, and computer architecture. They are unsure of their long-term goals but are pursuing Comp-Phys as a way to have flexibility in switching disciplines. They are aware of the challenges of pursuing a career in academia and prioritize financial security. They plan to use their masters to make themselves highly employable and are interested in job opportunities in computational physics, but are unsure of salary ranges. They seek advice on the importance of having an applicable MSc thesis for industry and potential job titles and industries
csp256
I have a BSc of Physics from a different university. I start my MSc of Computational Physics next semester (I've just been taking courses at the new university this semester). I am an above-average programmer with a pretty good background in CS theory. I am very multidisciplinary and have lots of technical hobbies and interests outside of physics (machine learning, computer vision, metaheuristics, robotics (especially AI), game development, GPGPU, HPC, FPGA, robust statistics, compressed sensing, computer architecture, etc). My university has many fields of strength in physics, and of those I think I am most interested in computational statistical mechanics / molecular dynamics and multiscale physics.

What I want to do long-term is still very nebulous. I am pursuing Comp-Phys because I think it will be easier to switch disciplines later with that background. I know that I like learning and I like being challenged.

I have heard enough horror stories to say I do not think I want to stay in academia long term. I value financial security too much to go through the postdoc scam: I grew up poor, have no security-net, and a hefty loan-debt. Still, I will probably indulge myself and pursue a PhD, but it might not even be in physics or CS: I've been sitting in on some interesting neuroscience seminars recently, and I'm sure in a few more months I will have another discipline catch my eye. As such, I intend to use my masters to make myself as highly employable as possible, because any PhD would be purely self-indulgent.

1) Is it important to industry to have my MSc thesis be in something which is (more or less) applicable to industry, like FEM or Monte Carlo? Does it matter at all if it is not exactly what they are doing?

2) I was not able to find a good resource for expected salaries for someone with a degree in _computational_ physics. What job titles/industries/careers are there for someone with that sort of training? What salary ranges are typical?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What career options are available with an MSc in Computational Physics?

Graduates with an MSc in Computational Physics have a wide range of career options, including roles in research and development, data analysis, software development, and finance. They can also pursue careers in fields such as aerospace, energy, and healthcare.

2. Will I need a PhD to have a successful career in Computational Physics?

While a PhD can open up additional opportunities, a master's degree in Computational Physics is often sufficient for many career paths. With strong programming and analytical skills, graduates can find success in various industries.

3. What is the average salary for someone with an MSc in Computational Physics?

The average salary for someone with an MSc in Computational Physics depends on their specific job role and industry. However, according to Glassdoor, the average salary for a computational physicist in the United States is $110,000 per year.

4. Are there any specific industries that value individuals with a background in Computational Physics?

Yes, there are several industries that highly value individuals with a background in Computational Physics, including technology, finance, and aerospace. These industries often have a high demand for individuals with strong technical and analytical skills.

5. What skills will I gain from an MSc in Computational Physics?

Some of the key skills you will gain from an MSc in Computational Physics include programming, data analysis, mathematical modeling, and problem-solving. You will also develop a strong understanding of physics principles and how to apply them to real-world problems.