Thinking skills assessment test

In summary, the person is fishing and they need to use 4 worms on their hook. They will cast 12 times per hour and spend an hour at the first 4 pools and an hour and a half at the fifth pool. They will discard the worms on their hook when walking between pools.
ponjavic
So I'm trying out the test to prepare me for my upcoming cambridge interview, there is one problem I can't understand though this one:

44 Sally is helping her father dig worms for fishing.
"That's exactly enough," he says as she places a worm in his tin.
"How many do you need?" she enquires.
"I use 4 worms on my hook and reckon on having to replace an average of one of these
each time I cast. I cast 12 times an hour. Today I will fish 5 pools spending an hour at
the first 4 and an hour and a half at the fifth. I always discard the worms on my hook
when walking between pools."
How many worms are in the tin?
A 66
B 69
C 81
D 86
E 264

I reckon it is D since:
He passes five pools thus 4*5 worms should be placed on the hook.
He spends a total of 5.5 hours at the pools netting 12*5.5=66 throws --> 66 worms.
66+20=86 worms

It is possible that they mean an hour total on the first four pools in this case:
Passes five pools = 20.
spends 2.5 hours casting = 12*2.5=30 casts --> 30 worms.
20+30=50 worms.

According to the answer sheet the answer is C. It should have something to do with 5 pools since 86-5=81 but what?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems rather simple to me but here I go, well the awnser is 81 because the first cast he does not have to change the worm, so that's actually 11 replaced worms he does in an hour, and 17 on an hour and a half. So 4worms*5pools=20, 11replacedworms*4pools=44, 17replaced worms for the last pool, and then 44+17+20=81. :smile:
hope you understood me. :tongue2:

yep that was where i gained the other five, that's a mean question then, hope I can keep my nerves together at the test :bugeye:

Lets hope so, just think problems 2 times in these kinds of things, they usually try to trick you. :wink:

What is a Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA) test?

A Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA) test is a standardized test designed to evaluate a person's critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is commonly used by universities as part of their admissions process for undergraduate and graduate programs.

What does the TSA test measure?

The TSA test measures a person's abilities in three main areas: critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical reasoning. It assesses a person's ability to think logically, analyze information, and come up with creative solutions to complex problems.

How is the TSA test administered?

The TSA test is typically administered online and consists of multiple-choice questions. It is usually timed, and the duration of the test can vary depending on the institution. Some universities may also require a written component or an interview as part of the TSA test.

Can I prepare for the TSA test?

While there is no specific study material for the TSA test, you can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills through practice. You can find sample questions and practice tests online to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions asked in the TSA test.

Why is the TSA test important?

The TSA test is an essential part of the admissions process for many universities because it helps them identify candidates with strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These are important skills for success in academic studies and in the workforce. The TSA test also provides a fair and standardized way to evaluate applicants from different backgrounds and educational systems.