Third year project - CFD nozzle design

In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to use GAMBIT/FLUENT for their third year project involving designing a nozzle for a fire extinguisher. They are also wondering if it is possible to model the nozzle in ProEngineer and import it into GAMBIT/FLUENT. The conversation also mentions the use of Pointwise and other CFD programs like CFD++ and ACE/FASTRAN.
stokie1991
Hi, for my third year project i have got to design a nozzle to fit a fire extinguisher. However firstly i must analyse fluid flow within said nozzle, but i have no idea how to use GAMBIT/FLUENT and finding it difficult to find relevant user guides on the internet. Anyone care to offer some advice? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you using Pointwise to draw the mesh? That project is pretty straightforward. I've done a lot of CFD, but haven't used either of those programs. Although, most of them are pretty similar.

Clearly he isn't using Pointwise because he is asking for GAMBIT help. If Pointwise is available though, it should be used. It is so much nicer.

boneh3ad said:
Clearly he isn't using Pointwise because he is asking for GAMBIT help. If Pointwise is available though, it should be used. It is so much nicer.

Like I said, never used them before... Only heard of Fluent. I use CFD++ and a new one made by NASA that no one has yet. At uni I used ACE/FASTRAN, which is a terrible program.

Yeah I have been instructed by the university to use Gambit to create the mesh file, then import that into FLUENT to study the fluid flow within a nozzle.

Also I was wondering is it possible to model the nozzle in ProEngineer and then export it into Gambit/Fluent, as ProE is a lot more user friendly than gambit

Yes you can import geometry like that but I'm not an expert on the topic. I am not a CFD guy and am going by what I know from the CFD guys I work with.

Are you doing a 2d or 3d model? Are you using a super computer or just a uni one?

1. What is a CFD nozzle design?

A CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) nozzle design is the process of using computer simulations to analyze and optimize the design of a nozzle, which is a device used to control the flow of fluids or gases. This involves using mathematical models to calculate and visualize the behavior of the fluid as it passes through the nozzle, allowing for the identification of areas that can be improved for better performance.

2. Why is a CFD nozzle design important?

A CFD nozzle design is important because it allows for a more efficient and cost-effective way to design and optimize nozzles. By using computer simulations, engineers and scientists can test and analyze different design variations without having to physically build and test each one, saving time and resources. This results in improved performance and reduced costs for industries that rely on nozzles, such as aerospace, automotive, and energy.

3. What factors are considered in a CFD nozzle design?

There are several factors that are considered in a CFD nozzle design, including the shape and size of the nozzle, the type of fluid or gas being used, the desired flow rate and velocity, and the pressure and temperature conditions. Other factors may include the effects of turbulence, boundary layer separation, and shock waves. These factors are essential for accurately predicting the behavior of the fluid and optimizing the design for maximum efficiency.

4. What are the benefits of using CFD for nozzle design?

Using CFD for nozzle design offers several benefits, including faster and more accurate design iterations, cost savings, and improved performance. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the fluid flow behavior and the ability to visualize and analyze complex flow phenomena. Additionally, CFD can be used to simulate different operating conditions and design variations, providing valuable insights into the performance of the nozzle and helping to identify potential issues before physically building and testing the nozzle.

5. What are the limitations of CFD nozzle design?

While CFD is a powerful tool for nozzle design, it also has its limitations. One of the main limitations is the accuracy of the simulations, which is highly dependent on the quality of the input data and assumptions made in the mathematical models. CFD also requires significant computational resources and can be time-consuming, especially for complex geometries and fluid behavior. Therefore, CFD should be used in conjunction with physical testing and validation to ensure the accuracy of the results.