Which CFD software is best for a final year project on Heat Exchangers?

• Thread starter nanunath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cfd
In summary, the author recommends Fluent-Gambit or Star CD-CCM+, but warns that they are both hard to use on a 32 bit machine. The book recommended is John D. Anderson's "Computational Fluid Dynamics".

Which software do u recommend for CFD??

• Star CD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other[Plz mention name in the Thread]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
nanunath
Hi...
I m currently in my final year Mech engg.
My final year project is on a "Heat Exchanger"...
So I need to learn a CFD software...
I have two choices -
"Fluent-Gambit" Or
"Star CD-CCM+"
Plz tell the minimum hardware configiguration required for each of the above softwares...

Plz share your views on which software should I opt for...

Also..
Please recommend me a very good book for CFD[not for learning the software!]

Any experiences are most welcome...
Thanxx!
Bye!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
As far as the minimum hardware is concerned, that is a function of how fast you need results. You could get by with a 4 gig 64 bit machine, but I would recommend at least 8 - 10 gigs. Don't even attempt to use a 32 bit machine unless you can parallel a couple of them together. Most CFD runs are time consuming and put high demand on cpu's and the post processing will tax your graphics card for all it's got. FLUENT is the best in the business the only problem is it is owned by ANSYS. The best book for CFD has to be John D. Anderson "Computational Fluid Dynamics" it is a bit dated but it is the best for gaining knowledge of how you solve CFD problems.

I have heard that Gambit is a PITA for meshing. As said, the Anderson book is great.

Thanxx guys...
Ok..so fluent is out of the list now...I own a 32 bit processor...
But I heard Star CD works Ok on 32 Bit processor 2Ghz with 2GB ram+Grahics card...[I mean for our project...which deals with the effects of diff. types of baffles]
Actually a friend of mine[who doesn't know much about PCs] told me this...
So..Plz tell me about Star CD...how is it...?

nanunath said:
Thanxx guys...
Ok..so fluent is out of the list now...I own a 32 bit processor...
But I heard Star CD works Ok on 32 Bit processor 2Ghz with 2GB ram+Grahics card...[I mean for our project...which deals with the effects of diff. types of baffles]
Actually a friend of mine[who doesn't know much about PCs] told me this...
So..Plz tell me about Star CD...how is it...?

There is not any problem when we run these software (GAMBIT+FLUENT or Star CD) in 32 bit machine. I'm in use.

^Ok...but will I be able to successfully complete the analysis on a 32Bit machine...2.66Ghz ,Pentium D processor,2GB RAM??

Also ...as told above I've found a book on CFD..but there r many books f this author on this Subject...
can u tell if if I've found the Right one...[Coverpage photo and contents of the book I found ..given below]...

Coverpage:[Print 1995]
[Click img to view full-size]
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?6c22397370.jpg"

Contents of the Book:[Total Pages:563] - Mc-Graw Hill
Four parts:
Part I:Basic thoughts and equations
Part II:Basics of the Numerics
Part III:Some Applications
Part IV:Other Topics

This may sound dumb..but please tell me if this is the right book...
I think...There are more diff books...by same author by almost the same name

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is the correct book. Also, the software will run on 32 bit machines (sorry to have mislead you) it is just that it will run slow. I am used to simulating flow fields and pressure drops through large heat exchangers and my models would run very slow on a 32 bit machine.

Ok...
Thanxx a lot..all of u for replying...

1. What is CFD and how is it used in scientific research?

CFD stands for Computational Fluid Dynamics. It is a numerical simulation technique used to study the behavior of fluids, such as air or water, in various physical systems. CFD is commonly used in scientific research to model and analyze complex fluid flow phenomena, such as aerodynamics or heat transfer.

2. What kind of data can be obtained from CFD simulations?

CFD simulations can provide a wide range of data, including velocity, pressure, temperature, and turbulence fields. These data can be visualized and analyzed to gain insights into the behavior of the fluid and its interaction with the surrounding environment.

3. How accurate are CFD simulations compared to real-world experiments?

The accuracy of CFD simulations depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the problem, the quality of the input data, and the chosen simulation methods. In general, CFD simulations can provide reasonably accurate results, but they should always be validated with experimental data to ensure their reliability.

4. What are the main challenges in using CFD for scientific research?

One of the main challenges in using CFD for scientific research is the computational cost. CFD simulations can require a significant amount of computing resources and time to obtain accurate results. Another challenge is the complexity of the underlying physics, which may require advanced numerical methods and models to accurately capture the behavior of the fluid.

5. How can CFD be applied in different fields of science?

CFD has a wide range of applications in various fields of science, including aerospace engineering, automotive design, environmental sciences, and biomedical research. It can be used to study and optimize the performance of various systems, such as aircraft wings, car engines, wind turbines, and even human blood flow. CFD is a versatile tool that can be applied to many scientific problems involving fluid flow.