This cannot be right.... (Problem with Cymath?)

• Thread starter Hammad Shahid
  • Start date
In summary, cymath can't recognize that 1/(2^x) = (2^0.5)/2, so x can only be a number between 1 and 23. When simplifying the left hand side of the equation, cymath gives the incorrect result that x can be any number except zero.
Hammad Shahid
Homework Statement
(1/[2^x])^(1/(2x)) = (2^0.5)/2
Relevant Equations
Exponential proofs.
So basically I decided to simplify the terms on the left, and I got ~0.707. I looked at it and obviously realized it equals sqrt(2)/2. So x = all real #’s.
Since I rarely see problems with infinite solutions, I went on Cymath to confirm it. I understood it all till the very end, where it stated 1/(2^0.5) =/= (2^0.5)/2 .
Here: https://www.cymath.com/answer?q=((1#(2^x)))^(1#(2x))=sqrt(2)#2

Is this an error with the system, because if you rationalize the 1/1.414... , you should get 1.414.../2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which is the same :biggrin:

But: can you do it without crutches ? -- that tell you there's no answer o0)

Likes Hammad Shahid
Hammad Shahid said:
where it stated 1/(2^0.5) =/= (2^0.5)/2
That is indeed incorrect. It appears that cymath can't recognize that equality.

Likes Hammad Shahid
@BvU Haha 😂
@DrClaude Thank you. First time I’ve seen such a problem with it.

Hammad Shahid said:
Problem Statement: (1/[2^x])^(1/(2x)) = (2^0.5)/2
Relevant Equations: Exponential proofs.

So basically I decided to simplify the terms on the left, and I got ~0.707. I looked at it and obviously realized it equals sqrt(2)/2. So x = all real #’s.
Since I rarely see problems with infinite solutions, I went on Cymath to confirm it. I understood it all till the very end, where it stated 1/(2^0.5) =/= (2^0.5)/2 .
Here: https://www.cymath.com/answer?q=((1#(2^x)))^(1#(2x))=sqrt(2)#2

Is this an error with the system, because if you rationalize the 1/1.414... , you should get 1.414.../2.
When I first looked at Post #1, I was a bit confused. Were you solving the equation, or were you merely simplifying the left hand side of that equation?

It's fairly apparent that you were to solve the equation, and you were surprised to find that the left hand side simplifies to be equivalent to the right hand side. So ##x## can be any number: well, any number except zero, since ##\dfrac 1 0 ## is undefined.

By the way, the left hand side of the equation is approximately 0.707, not ~0.707 .

As for cymath:
Following the link you provided, we do see something very puzzling for one of the steps cymath takes.
You gave the right hand side to cymath as ##\dfrac{\sqrt 2}{2} ##. That's perfectly fine.

cymath takes the left hand side of the equation and simplifies it. From the 4th step on, here is a snip of what cymath gives.

It's interesting that cymath does not recognize rationalizing the denominator.

By the way, if you input the right hand side as 1/sqrt(2), then cymath gives the correct result.

Another approach to solving this problem is more in line with what you gave in "Relevant Equations", namely Exponential Proofs.

Use logarithms to solve this. I suggest taking ##\log _2 ## of both sides.

Last edited:

1. What is Cymath and how does it work?

Cymath is an online math problem solver that uses artificial intelligence to provide step-by-step solutions to various math problems. It works by analyzing the given problem and using algorithms to determine the best approach to solving it.

2. Why is Cymath giving me an incorrect solution?

Cymath uses advanced algorithms and machine learning to solve math problems, but it is not perfect. It is possible that the given problem is too complex for Cymath to accurately solve, or there may be an error in the input. If you believe the solution is incorrect, you can try rephrasing the problem or seeking help from a human tutor.

3. Can I trust the solutions provided by Cymath?

While Cymath is a reliable tool for solving math problems, it is always important to double-check the solutions yourself. Cymath may not always provide the most efficient or accurate solution, so it is best to use it as a guide rather than relying solely on its answers.

4. Is Cymath free to use?

Yes, Cymath is a free online tool that anyone can use to solve math problems. However, there is also a premium version available with additional features and benefits.

5. Can I use Cymath to solve any type of math problem?

Cymath is designed to solve a wide range of math problems, including algebra, calculus, trigonometry, and more. However, it may not be able to solve extremely complex problems or those that require specialized knowledge or techniques.