This determinant is there a short cut?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute a determinant of a specific matrix using Gaussian elimination. The individual has attempted to swap rows and reduce the matrix, but is looking for an easier method. It is suggested to use Gaussian elimination and multiply rows by a constant to simplify the process. The final determinant can be found by taking the product of the numbers on the main diagonal of the upper triangular matrix.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Compute this determinant

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 1& x& 1\\
x& 1& 1 &1 \\
1& 1 & 1 &x \\
1& x & 1& 1
\end{vmatrix}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried swapping rows and eventually I got
[tex]-\begin{vmatrix}
x & 1& 1& 1\\
1& x& 1 &1 \\
1& 1 & x &1 \\
1& 1 & 1& x
\end{vmatrix}[/tex]

Now I could row reduce, but I could get two 0s at most and I still have to do two 3 x 3 determinants. Is there an easier way?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're allowed to multiply a row with a constant and subtract the result from another row.
In this manner you can use Gaussian elimination to resolve the determinant (note that not all rules of Gaussian elimination apply though).
When you have reached an upper triangular matrix, the determinant is the same as the product of the numbers on the main diagonal.

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical quantity that is used to determine the properties of a matrix. It is typically denoted by the symbol "det" or vertical bars enclosing the numbers of the matrix.

2. How is a determinant calculated?

The calculation of a determinant depends on the size of the matrix. For a 2x2 matrix, the determinant is calculated by multiplying the top left and bottom right elements and subtracting the product of the top right and bottom left elements. For larger matrices, there are various methods such as cofactor expansion or Gaussian elimination.

3. What is the importance of determinants?

Determinants have various applications in mathematics and science, such as solving systems of linear equations, calculating areas and volumes, and determining whether a matrix is invertible. They also play a crucial role in linear algebra and calculus.

4. Is there a shortcut for calculating determinants?

Yes, there are various shortcuts for calculating determinants depending on the size and properties of the matrix. For example, a 3x3 matrix can be evaluated using the Sarrus rule or by finding the product of the three main diagonals. However, these shortcuts may not always be applicable and it is important to understand the basic calculation method.

5. Can the value of a determinant be zero?

Yes, the value of a determinant can be zero. This occurs when the matrix is singular, meaning it does not have an inverse. In other words, the rows or columns of the matrix are linearly dependent, and the matrix cannot be inverted.