This is a question about a wind turbine generator

In summary, a wind turbine generator is a device that converts wind energy into electrical energy through the rotation of blades connected to a generator. It offers benefits such as being a renewable and clean energy source, but also has limitations such as dependence on wind availability and high initial costs. It can potentially power entire communities, but factors such as location and energy demands must be considered before installation.
Dan78
Homework Statement
1. This is a question about a wind turbine generator
a) The blades of a 20 kW, 400 V machine rotate at 2 revs per second at rated
wind speed

i) Calculate the speed of the generator if the gear box ratio is 1:10.
ii) Calculate the current generated at rated power.
iii) This four pole machine has a lap wound armature consisting of 16 coils
each with a resistance of 0.3 ohms. Calculate the resistance of the
armature.
iv) Draw the circuit diagram for the generator with this armature winding
resistance and the shunt resistance is 50 ohms.
v) Calculate the winding losses and hence the efficiency of the wind turbine at
rated wind speed.

b) The actual wind speed is lower than rated, so that the blades rotate
at half the speed. The output voltage is now 190 V.

i) What is the induced emf at rated speed?
ii) What is the emf at actual speed ?
iii) What is the actual output current?
iv) What is the actual power generated?
Relevant Equations
I have only completed part (a), once I know I'm on the right track I'll complete b. But I am little bit confused with ii) iii) iv) from part b.
2021-10-13.png
2021-10-13 (1).png

Physics news on Phys.org
If rated emf=415 V[400+50*.3] at 20 rps and 8 A excitation [the new iexcitation =190/50=3.8 A] then:
the new emf it has to be rated emf/rated rps*new rps/rated iexcitation*new iexcitation=415/20*10/8*3.8=98.56 V
In this case the new current is negative [impossible!]. So, in some way the shunt excitation is still supplied by 8 A [?] and the new emf=415/2.

1. How does a wind turbine generator work?

A wind turbine generator works by harnessing the kinetic energy of wind to rotate the blades of the turbine. The rotation of the blades then turns a shaft connected to a generator, which converts the kinetic energy into electrical energy.

2. What are the components of a wind turbine generator?

The main components of a wind turbine generator include the blades, rotor, shaft, gearbox, generator, and control system. The blades and rotor capture the wind energy, while the shaft and gearbox transfer the rotation to the generator. The control system helps regulate the speed and direction of the turbine.

3. How much electricity can a wind turbine generator produce?

The amount of electricity produced by a wind turbine generator depends on several factors, including the size and design of the turbine, wind speed, and location. On average, a single large wind turbine can generate enough electricity to power around 600 homes.

4. What are the advantages of using wind turbine generators?

Wind turbine generators have several advantages, including being a renewable source of energy, producing no emissions, and having a low cost of operation. They also have a small land footprint and can be installed in both rural and urban areas.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of wind turbine generators?

Some potential drawbacks of wind turbine generators include their intermittent nature, as they rely on wind availability, and the potential for noise and visual impacts on surrounding areas. Maintenance and initial installation costs can also be high, although they are generally offset by the long-term cost savings of using wind energy.